double boots or rear toe plate

LtownSkier

So I would consider my self a beginner skier, still trying to make it through the course at 15 off. I have double wiley highwraps on a radar P6. Most of the men and women that ski in my area use double boots but im curious to find out if they help or hurt you when your learning. what is the better set up for beginners ??

I was recently in your situation, except I was using a RTP. After enduring several falls with one foot in and one foot out, resulting in banged up shins and lots of blood in the boat, my partner insisted that I change to double boots (I think he was more worried about blood in his boat than me). I much prefer the double boots and wish I would have switched sooner, not to mention there's been no more bleeding, or any other injuries, after LOTS of falls.

But as 6balls says, its personal preference.

• Baller

@Ltownskier The general consensus right now is that skiing with an rtp is slightly better for your technique but a double boot setup is slighty safer. The decision is very personal.

Having seen the following footage of Andy Mapple's heel in an rtp, my personal feeling is that he doesn't do anything with his rear foot you can't do in your rear Wiley, so sticking with the relative safety and familiarity of your two boot setup is as good a choice as any.

• Baller
I use double boots, which has become a problem with my increasing back issues. I'd like to switch to a RTP so I can drag a foot during the pull up, thus sparing my back a bit, but have used doubles so long can hardly ski with a RTP. I wish I'd started and staying with a RTP.

Interesting comments, at the end of last season I took a few lessons at twin lakes ski park in monroe ny, and the coach there was telling me to look into switching to a rear toe plate, his reason was for the back foot to be able to move side to side or into a more natural position. I have tried a friends ski with a rtp and getting up wasnt the issue but i felt that with double boots you have more control on top of the ski and stability.

• Baller
I made the switch from RTP to double and would not consider going back. I think you need to find a double boot setup that your comfortable with and can ski with which may take a little testing. Having my rear foot straight does not work so I have the binding skewed and I like to run the rear boot lose at the top. I feel double boots work better on short setups because your not trying to kick your rear foot into place while pulling out for the pre gates. Switching to double boots did not add any buoys to my score at the time.

• Baller
I learned on a RTP, switched to double boots for control and safety, and then went back to a RTP. Originally I was using a standard RTP and hated it. My foot would wiggle around all the time and I injured myself when I hit the water with only one foot in and twisted my ankle pretty bad. Used two different double boot setups. I ended up going back to a RTP because I wanted the security of a mechanical release (Reflex). I also use the Radar RTP which has a cupped section for your heal. With that cupped heal, I really didn't notice that I didn't have a rear boot anymore except for the fact that I could now drag a leg getting up which saves my back.