Do TurnSoft buoys exist?

Than_Bogan

• Baller

Tim White with Inboard Solutions is where we obtained ours.

Skip Dunlap initially gave us a sample turn ball ("turnsoft") with relative higher compliance (dV/dP) inflation characteristics; installed in our counterweight system it is favorable to the polyforms & GBB's in regard to being softer, adequately buoyant, and minimal maintenance. The UV protection is good. The fin/wing will puncture them pretty easily though.

Had GBB's in but they have too much inertia imo, so we switched back to the Turnsofts with much less negative impact effects when struck.

• Baller

Thanks! Based on this, I seem to have found the proper link:

http://www.inboardsolutionsllc.com/Inboard_Solutions/Turnsoft_Buoys_%26_Paint.html

@Gloersen Your review is invaluable. I have exactly the same issue with the Bubble Buoys -- more than once I ran into one shin first, stopped on a dime, and ejected spectacularly. This hasn't led to any dangerous situations (yet), but seems like we've traded more safety in a ride-over for less safety in a full-on collision. But we also had all sorts of maintenance issues last year, since we're on a public lake and we don't have anybody dedicated to maintenance.

• Baller
They are definitely soft and fairly priced. Color seemed to hold up OK. The biggest issues were that I bought 7 last season, 1 didn't inflate/hold air, 2 had the attachment loops tear/break within about 1 week worth of use. Maybe we didn't attached them correctly; but, I think the attachment loop could stand some beefing up.

Whatever buoy I use, I keep them inflated at min. diameter, and I keep them pulled down to at or below minimum height exposed for practice and just at legal minimums for tournaments. Seems to keep the injuries down a bit, and doesn't affect scores much at all.

• Baller

Have used GBB's for 4 years now, and even though I bought 4 spares, these are the original BB's. Only maintenance has been to adjust and Burp them for changes in water height over time and pull them out, one at a time, every 6 months, to repaint and replace any broken tie wraps...If they are set up properly you can ski right through the middle of them without incident, we have done that several times...The one time a skier's fin slit the middle of one, I just used Super Glue on it and it was fine.

I have seen them set up wrong, where a lot of air is trapped inside and pulled down very tight..This will make them hard as a rock and defeat their design..They need to be burped and remain soft..Goode had a video on their Web-Site explaining this.

I feel I had much more maintenance with Regular Buoys and Water-filled Buoys, plus several injuries with those.