How many people in the world can run 38 off?

skifan

• Baller
Just curious what the consensus might be as to how many people in the world can complete their 38 off pass. Is it 100, 1,000, 10,000? How small is the 38 off club? I know I can't yet but I really want to join.

• Administrators

@skifan you can go to the USAWS site and find the US # pretty easy. You have to poke around and count but that should be easy.

That only counts skiers who go to tournaments. Big question is how many can run it but do but post tournament scores.

The other problem with this is guys like me who ran their first 38 years before doing it in s tournament.

Then there is the fact that everyone runs 38 on the internet. :-)

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Horton, I know I can find the tournament results online but I was trying theoretically figure out how many people have the ability to run the pass, thinking some people who can make it don't ski in tournaments. 35' off seems like a pass that many skiers to get to and make but 38' off seems like a bigger milestone.

• Administrators

@9400 I would bet less than 1000

@ral I think if someone only skis class the tournaments they don't show up on the IWSF site.

outside of Florida an awful lot of skiers in the US ski mostly class C. I expect to only ski two tournaments next year that are not C

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Tough question...seems like it would be a lot when just thinking about local tourney community and I don't ski many tourneys. I can think of close to 10 just regarding MN tourneys...but then at the same time if most states were like MN that would only get to 500 and then I'm sure some states with quite a few more like FL but even that would have a hard time pushing 500 more to make 1000 in the U.S. anyway. Fairly small club, I guess.

• Baller

1000 does feel like the right order of magnitude. From current AWSA results it's clearly well more than 100, but there's not going to be another 100x that many who can do it but haven't recently or haven't in a tournament.

Pulling from my ass, and claiming confidence to within a factor of 2, I'd guess 500. I.e. 250-1000.

• Members

34 mph in a record tournament. 200 to 250, including class C tournaments. 400 to 450,

I only know of one person who can run a legitimate 38 and occasionally run 39, who does not ski in tournaments.

36 MPH Fewer for sure, maybe less than 100 in US in Record. Class C 250 ish

This is for US only.

• Baller
I think that "the club" is joined in tournaments. Like in any other sport.

So if you run a legitimate 38 (or 35 or whatever) in practice with witnesses and good, in tolerance times it doesn't count? I don't ski tournaments so guess I'll never be in "the club". Of course I can't run 38 either so I suppose it's a moot question...

• Baller_

I was just searching scores for the BD Broho skier list, checking the IWSF scores for a few of the international guys attending, and found @horton in the 35+ men's slalom group, he's #41 in the world with a score of 6 @ -38 BTW

@goodeskier, just remember what @chrisrossi says, and that purple loop will not be a problem !

• Baller

@Ed_Obermeier‌, you get assurance of good driving path/times/rope lenght/accurate course/gates in tournaments.

I guess that anyone that can run consistently 38 off in practice can be considered as running it. I do not think there are too many skiers that are able to run 38 off consistently in practice that do not go to tournaments.