3 exercises to get ready for skiing season

Fine409

• Baller

What I have learned on here is that most folks (on BOS at least) are fairly intelligent when it comes to working out. No one wants to hurt themselves and give up a season of skiing. There is no dispute that if any workout / exercise is done incorrectly it will hurt you. You can hurt yourself with 5lb weights if you don't do something correctly or aren't cautious with what you are doing.

Perhaps another point is - be careful folks. If something doesn't feel right, then stop, take a rest, reduce weight and/or reduce reps. Better to be cautious and workout the next day vs being out weeks/months/or the season.

• Baller

After absorbing some of this thread, I think I've picked my 3rd exercise: Reebok slide. And that reminds me that I should go DO that!!

The great thing about this exercise is that it involves the ductors (thanks @cragginshred for that reminder) while also getting some of the benefits of squats but at a faster pace that befits a 16-17 second sport.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan you could just go skating with your kids instead of the Reebok slide. Seriously though slide boards are cool and great exercise. If I had the space I would have one because it would be good work for both of my kids that are skaters (1 hockey and 1 figure). They take a fair amount of space though.

• Baller

I got a new one. I've been working with my youngest (the water skier/snow skier/pole vaulter one) on his runway speed and we've been going out early am to a flat parking lot and pushing my car for 20 to 30 second bursts. Really works the entire upper leg and glutes. I haven't told him I have the parking brake on and the transmission in park. He doesn't seem to notice.

I also do a lot of bosu ball squats (one-legged, both legs, with weight, without) and ab?ad? ductor (ab is outward, ad in inward?) work with a band. That kills. I'm also a big proponent of heavy squats, but my meniscus and lack of it is balking at that lately.

• Baller
@ToddL nailed it! @Klundell -- my PT has always emphasized squats both for my core/back support as well as for my knees. I used to do a lot of leg extension/curl work on machines. He said that my knees would feel better if I stuck to squats. He's right!

• Baller
My top 3 exercises are pull ups (I do 3 reps of 20 everyday I walk into the gym), 25 squats with 25 lb. weight while standing on a Bozu ball, (lifting the weight overhead after coming up on the squat...great for balance, core, legs, and arms), and 25 step ups with 50 pound barbell (also great for balance, core, and legs)