Installing a malibu skin

WBLskier

• Baller
I have a small silver dollar sized hole in the backrest vinyl of the backseat of my 1998 Malibu Echelon. I either need to get it repaired or just order a new skin for the whole seat. I can get the skin for $185. I haven't priced out getting it repaired, but I have to think it is close to that or more. Has anyone installed that skin, and how difficult is it? I think it is pulled tight and stapled on the back, but i don't really recall. I'm not sure if I would need to hire a professional to install the skin anyway. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• Baller

You can install any skin yourself if you have patience and an electric staple gun.

The trick is to get the tension right...too loose or too tight and you will get wrinkles.

FWIW I redid all of the skins in my boat, it turned out as good as any that I have seen. That said, it definitely took me longer than I thought it would.

Since you are only doing one piece, it shouldn't be a big deal. One key tip is to get the piece warmed up before you install it...I laid my pieces out in the sun for 15 or 20 minutes before installing. It makes the vinyl much more pliable and easier to stretch.

• Baller
Get the skin, overall you will be happier with the result. In addition to what Jordan said you could trial fit the new skin over the existing one just to see if you have the courage to attempt it. An upholstery shop will probably swap out the skins in a hour (labor) if you bring them the piece.

• Baller
Getting a skin installed is cheap. I paid a local upholstery guy $20 do install one on my bayliner after the seat base had gotten cracked from someone stepping on it. Mine were plastic bases and you needed a "real" staple gun to shoot them.

I bought skins from Chee for my '98 Echelon. He has all the > 7-year-old Malibu boat seating patterns. Pretty much anything you need to know is in the link below. I still have a couple skins yet to install, but it's not too tough with the right porter cable pneumatic stapler and right SS staples. Hope your skins/install goes well.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47163-chee-skins/

• Baller
I got my skins from Chi also. I got complete interior for a closed bell delivered to my door for 1100 dollars. the upholstery is thick and well put together! Che has been doing Malibu's upholstery for years and is the only one you'll find recommended on the Malibu crew web site. if you want his personal email address I can pass it on to you.

Hey everyone, new to this forum, but have read some posts about chee building replacement seat skins for older malibus. I have a 97 sunsetter lx that is in good shspe but the rear seat has come apart in the usual spot. Can I please get chees contact info to see if he would still be interested in making skins?

• Baller
I've been following the ongoing saga of Chee on the malibu forum and it appears that he is missing in action. I do not know the details, but several have paid for skins with no delivery of product. I cannot comment on the reasons, only the net effect.

Word of warning about Chee. He has been an institution on the Malibu Crew for years as the "guy" for Bu skins. However, over the last 4-6 months 10-12 members have sent money to Chee for skins and to date, Chee has disappeared with their money. Obviously there are alot of theories but our hope is its something medical and Chee is alive and well. But who knows, things happen. Several of the members are out $2500+ with no responses from Chee since summer 2014.

I wouldn't recommend going the Chee route at the moment.