Malibu Sunsetter LXI - questions

torontoboater

• Baller

I am looking at buying a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter LXI, 250 hours, with the 310HP Vortec (carb) engine. No trailer, No bimini. It does include perfect pass and is in good condition. Apparently there was a small crack in the lower engine block which was repaired with JB Weld and no issues since. Otherwise in good condition. Oil and impellers changed every year.

What are your thoughts on:

1. purchase price?

2. whether any issues with the carb engine (I would otherwise prefer an EFI)

3. any particular maintenance or problems I need to find out about?

Thanks a lot.

• Baller

Other than hard cold starts the carb engine will be fine. Pretty straightforward to fix and maintain which is a bonus for some, though the EFI mills today are pretty bulletproof anyway.

As for particular problems, check for HDS leaks. This is the large box that surrounds the prop shaft, fills with water, and is prone to leakage on this era of 'Bu.

• Baller

Hey @torontoboater - I also recently bought a 2000 Sunsetter LXI (and I'm also from Toronto, although I bought the LXI in Florida).

Prices range on that boat quite a bit, depending on condition and location.

Toronto/Muskoka area is a region that tends to be more expensive, but on the other hand, no trailer and cracked/patched engine block should result in a steep discount in my books. There was a guy in Brantford who couldn't move his for $19,000 and it was EFI, had a trailer, wedge and tower. On the other hand, he had no idea what he had, or how to write an ad, or how to negotiate, so those things may have more to do with why it didn't sell.

Tower? Wedge? MLS? What's the interior condition out of 10?

With a patched block & no trailer, if you're heading north of $15k12,500*, I'd say you should start to be very wary (and in some different areas of the USA, that number would/should be much lower).

@jhughes is right to draw your attention to the HDS. While I don't believe it was an overly common problem, it was an expensive one for those who had trouble.

p.s. as you probably know, it's a killer hull, and a great crossover/family boat.

*yeah, an engine block crack makes me nervous long term, and the eventual solution is putting a new block in an aging boat (at least $4-7k after labour)

• Baller_

I didn't think any of the boat manufacturers sold a carbureted version in 2000. That makes me wonder if it is even the original engine. Did Malibu actually offer non-EFI in 2000?

The only way I would buy a boat with a cracked block is if it were cheap enough to replace the engine with a ZO-compatible new engine and still be $1000 below market value after doing so.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I had a carb'd 2002 Sportster before I got my EFI Sunsetter LXi. No question that EFI is awesome, but it's a luxury, in the sense that i) there's nothing wrong with carb'd, ii) I'd much rather have a carb problem than an EFI problem, in terms of repair$.

• Baller
If the crack in the block is just a water jacket crack it's not the end of the world, guys, and can be sealed. Also, replacing a short block on one of these, or the entire engine for that matter is not that big of a deal and can be done cheaply particularly with a used pull-out. Keep in mind replacing an interior is going to cost as much, if not more, than the engine so I'd personally put interior condition at the same importance as engine condition. We're not talking about an outboard power head here. If the boat is otherwise in great shape I wouldn't hesitate to lowball it and walk away with a great deal.