How Fast Could You Run -28 / -32

ozski

• Baller
Starting at -28 and going up in 1mph increments how fast could you go? For the better skiers -32 would probably be a better challenge. The jump from 34 - 36 is pretty decent so I imagine the jump to 38 - 39mph would be on the edge of scary.

• Baller

Some thoughts about back in the back when.

While AWSA kept the max. speed at 34 mph until somewhere after 1960, when 36 was

introduced (over some strong objections) the World (WWSU then) had a different approach.

I remember that their max. SL speed was 60 kph, or about 37.3 mph.

Jimmy Jackson would have won the 1961 Worlds at that speed, nearly running a full shortline

pass. May have been "12 off". Although in World Rules, they may not have had the full

75 foot/23m longline even then.

Also heard, unconfirmed, that the boat speed in World Rules would increase until the boat

was max'd out. Maybe another Old Timer remembers boat speed getting to 40 or 42 mph.

Of course, that was well before speed control, boat timing, and accurate speedometers.

• Baller

Back in the mid 1990's Kristi Overton and Suzi Graham messed around with 36 a bit. I am not sure how they did.

One of the most impressive things I saw in person was at Jody Johnson's Lake Wellington in about 1994. Me and a buddy drove over for a record and were at practice on Friday afternoon. Marc Crone was going to take a set and I hopped in the boat. One of the tournament drivers (who had not driven the boat yet) got in to (hand) drive.

I thought it seemed really fast and Marc barely scratched out his opening -32. The time was 15.42. The driver apologized for not timing out the boat and I was pretty impressed Marc ran it cold out of the car.

• Baller
This brings back memories of when I was about 15, and tried 15 off for the 1st time (open water) after learning to slalom earlier in the summer. The driver, who is also the guy who taught us all how to ski, was a bit of a jokester and decides to pull me at about 40mph or so after telling me that 15 off will feel a lot faster. It felt a lot faster all right, especially during the OTF when I did about 15 cartwheels across the water and peeled my shorty all the way up to my crotch. I just thought everybody was laughing at my epic yard sale when they came around to get me, until they finally let me in on the "joke". Glad I was made of a better rubber compound back then!