How many kids can you teach to ski per hour?

Oldutskier

To the BOS brain trust:

My daughter is seven-year-old first grader. She wants to host her Indian Princess group at our ski lake. This group is essentially a father-daughter activity group that meets once a month to do father-daughter activities. I assume that none of her friends know how to ski. Here is my question.

How many seven year-olds can we teach to ski per hour?

We plan on using the skis that are tied together and we are located on a private lake. First we will pull them along the grass, then the shoreline and finally behind the boat. I think we could do at least two per hour. Is it possible that we can do more that two per hour? Does anyone have any experience with teaching a rather large group of kids how to ski? I plan on hiring two instructors (one on land and one for the boat) and a driver to facilitate this.

I think we could have about twenty kids. I am all hears. I would love any guidance or suggestions.

If I pull this off, it will have done my grassroots exposure effort for the sport for the time being.

• Baller

I volunteer coached at a summer ski camp where it was all about skiing/wakeboarding and in some cases barefooting. I have also have had 10-15 of my children's friends over for lake fun for an afternoon or two...one group of boys and one group of girls.

My two cents;

1.) a boom would make it quicker if skiing is the goal. In that case wouldn't even worry about behind the boat perse...get 'em all up on the boom, and all up on the short extension off the boom. If time behind the boat for those who look most stable.

2.) the kids will want to have fun riding behind the boat. I know we all love skiing, but hook up a couple of great big tubes. I've had 10 kids behind the boat at the same time all squealing without making it crazy enough to put any kids at risk.

3.) Kneeboarding is a snap for kids. Can put multiple's behind the boat at the same time even when relative beginners. Shore start is super easy, but I've also had very little difficulty with behind the boat start. We had 3 boards at last party so 7 kids in the boat, 3 behind trading off turns with the kids in the boat after the tubing mentioned above. We did a half day...but should have done an entire day as they all wanted more.

No one skied...and I could handle it cuz they all had fun.

• Baller_

At that age, coordination and athletic ability will vary greatly. For the more athletic kids, use the boom and don't worry about the 5' handle on the first day.

For the less athletic, use the same method you would use for a 2 year old - put them on the platform, have the rope attached to the front of the skis in your right hand, put the boat in gear and lift her up with your left hand by the back of her vest and hold her along the side of the boat. A fast idle will be plenty. She will just be standing there and not really be "skiing", but getting the feel of being on the water and get over any fear.

Don't even think about real skiing behind the boat unless you have a real athlete in the group. (If you do, you're in for a treat)

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
I taught my kids when they were younger than 7 but I am not sure I would try to teach a whole bunch. I would send them all out on tubes first and get them comfortable behind the boat. If you have a 7 year old there that can ski already I would have them ski next. If some of the kids really want to try it then let them but certainly don't force them.

As much as I hate tubes, for that size of group, it works the best. The kids get really bored and in trouble if you don't keep them engaged and busy. So, the skiing is best for a very small group - 2 or 3 at the most. Otherwise, you lose them to boredom.

What I have done with middle school kids is have one lake set aside for the water tramp, paddle boards, tether ball, basket ball, a cooking fire with marshmellows and hot dogs, footballs, soccer balls, etc., and take out a group of 2-3 kids on the other lake for some wakeboarding or skiing lessons on the boom. I just keep rotating kids until the party breaks up in a few hours. The kids need about 20-minutes each of boat time including swapping skiers.

Your heart is in the right place. Keep them busy! It make life a lot easier and safer.

• Baller
Per hour? Beginners? 3 per boat. 10-15 mins max of learning trying, 5-10 mins switching to the next skier. Boat crew should include a swimmer, coach, and driver. Boom is a must for quick successes, but your driver must have significant beginner boom experience. Otherwise you will constantly waste time circling the skier trying to time being lined up and the skier being ready to go.

• Baller

7 is almost harder than 2 year olds because they are heavier but you can still do the same. Put the skis on in the boat. Have skis with a wooden front tie bar. Get the boat moving if you want and dad lifts her onto the water. (Dont need to get wet and probably better not to as the quiet kids watching will feel better if they dint need tk get wet) One person holds the ski tie bar forwards. Dad holds their life jacket. No way to fall they don't even need to hold on. Get them to do one hand, no hands other one hand and smile for the camera. Six kids per hour should be easy enough. I take 10 at a time this way and they feed off each other to build confidence.

Greg

• Baller
I did about the same thing with the Indian Guides about 15 yrs ago. I would not even think about "teach[ing] to ski." What worked for me was getting a "Ski Skimmer", starting the kids in 2 inches of water and driving the boat at 5 mph away from shore. 9 out of 10 "skied" behind the boat the first time - four sets each over a weekend

• Baller

6 Balls has it right.

You can only go as fast as they are ready: Vest & Skis/Board on, in the water, boat passengers down. For that age: Boom & HEAVY "Chiefs" in the boat, sitting on the boom side to "feed/lower" the boom via their weight, once grabbed by the skier, have them move to the middle. Your skier is now basically out of the water (see pic). Put the boat in gear and snap a lot of pics!

This is is my 4th grade daughter, after the boom is feed/rec'd, about to put in gear. You can see how much of her body is out of the water once we shifted the weight. If you had this down, I would say you would max out at 5/hour if the girls are out in the water waiting on you.

0e5f2b84ed43c323222cda3404912a.jpg

If you have this system, you will need more boats!! My daughter & 4 friends went from day 1 boarding, first attempt, to 5" bridle off boom, to long line, back to boom for 180* turns by the end of day 1. Day 2 - no boom, and when is it my turn came up a lot.

As GregHind said, no falls the better + a lot of encouragement. Once up for 100 Yds, I made them let go and "sink/fall" in the water - to loud applause. I would get them back up and do it all over. In the car, they only talked about their wipeouts...... at about 9 mph, the dads were all cracking up.

BTW - bring plenty of fire water. You deserve it. Good on you for doing this.

• Baller

@Oldutskier I commend your efforts! This is not an easy undertaking but likely will leave a life-long impression on a lot of these girls and great memories for the dads. This makes me smile. If you'd like, email Taryn at programs (at) usawaterski (dot) org and let her know what you are putting together. She might be able to pull together some goodie bags, stickers, etc., for the girls to enhance their experience. ALSO, be sure to take a lot of pictures and videos. For the kids' sake of course but I would love to use your experience and photos as an example and testimonial for others to host similar parties.

And from personal experience, kneeboards are a great place to start. High rate of success with low level of athletic ability and stability on the water required. It also helps them gain confidence in being on top of the water, hearing the noise of the boat, etc... Feel free to email me as well if there is anything we can do to help your efforts.

Good luck!

• Baller
One trick to not letting the kids "fall" into the water is if you use the skimmer, have someone hold onto the handle. If they start to fall/sputter lean over and hit the water just let go of the rope. Depending on how comfortable the kids are in the water, they may or may NOT let go of the handle, even if your telling them to let go. We used the ski skimmer mentioned above for my neice's and nephews. Four of them got up on the skimmer and they were talking about it for quite a while afterwards. Hope it goes well!!

• Baller

We used Obrien Jr Amigos, which were short and wide, and someone holding them in a seated position in about 3 feet of water. Very high success rate. I would say 15 minutes each, cutting them off if they have a lot of falls, saying they need to rest, which they probably don't, but helps keep others in the ready.

Tube all day, just don't kill them, slower with bumps and they will be howling all afternoon for more.