Hard-shell binding with rubber release, but not like Radars

dchristman

• Baller
@nando Because you're saying your Silvretta releases before the R-style makes me wonder if perhaps the kicking-yourself-in-the-shin scenario is more likely if you're using a full rear boot or hybrid. I'm using an RTP and I don't think I've ever kicked myself. My shin damage has been from crushing and hitting the Silvretta or hitting the ski during a fall.

• Baller

@dchristman I prefer any releasable hard shell system over rubber boots but after observation and personal experience I have come to the conclusion that it's not the Silvretta solely to blame for shin cuts but also any hardware on the ski and the ski itself. A lot of times when a hardshell releases skier goes towards the ski hence the shin cuts sometimes on the front shin too. When you release from a rubber boot usually you release away from the ski and you don't hit your shins. On a trick ski you can hit your shin on the Silvretta when tricking, not only when falling making shin guard necessary (when using a Silvretta).

On a slalom, I think skiing safer and avoiding OTF's is what I'm trying to do, only one small shin cut in the last two years so far B)

• Baller

@Nando weight of Reflex and FM Sub-Z compared:

Reflex G10 plate with 500 release and underpad .7kg

FM aluminum plate with Revo Sub-Z and underpad .7kg

Reflex black size 8 (unmodified, no liner) .6kg

FM boot, 3 buckles, small (no liner) .8kg

total weight compared to a couple rubber bindings:

Reflex shell and plate (no liner) 1.3kg

FM shell and plate (no liner) 1.5kg

D3 Leverage small with SUPERfeet green 1.3kg

HO Animal small 1.2kg

• Baller

@OldboyII I'm working on putting my thoughts about bindings in general into a personal treatise. Here's an apropos line from it -

Everything is affected by temperature. Soft bits are likely more affected by temperature than hard bits (think George Castanza).

• Baller
@BraceMaker I'm not using it. I just didn't feel well connected to the ski for tricks, which was it's original intended purpose. It seemed to work OK for slalom, but I guess I'm just too comfortable with the Reflex now. I have several Reflex plates so I can easily try other skis without taking apart my primary skis.