These guys are jumping almost 600ft on skis!

kfennell

• Baller
the way it was explained to me those distances are a measurement of the arcing path the snow skier travels not the straight line distance across the surface of the earth. so that 600 ft is a combination of outward and downward direction -more downward then outward. unless something has changed water ski jumpers still travel farther distance over the earths surface than any other sport.

• Baller
As far as I have known, it's always been a straight line path. From the lip of the jump to a line drawn between the heels of each boot where they touch down. Hills are measured with an average, or expected distance, known as the K-point. That is always measure from the lip. Theoretically, if the K-point is calculated correctly, no jumper will ever go farther than 10% over K point.

• Baller

I did a few Nordic jumps in college. The 40 meter hill was terrifying on the inrun and runout - but fun in the air. I fell on the 25 meter hill. The release was Radar style. The boots pulled off my feet, socks and all. The sport got a lot less fun after that...

@ozski That was an awful video.

Eric

• Baller
These guys are crazy! I grew up with a 90 meter jump at our local ski hill. Half our alpine team, myself included, went off it on GS skis. It was scary as sh!t, and I only went may 50'? I couldn't imagine going full bore with break away heal bindings! Insane sport! Funny, I had a few jumpers tell me they'd never race down hill or super G, and thought I was crazy,

• Baller_

Yea now go stick a handle in their hands, Strap on skis twice as wide and heavy, hook the other end of the rope to a 400 plus hp boat and see what they can do over a flat surface!!!

Bruce Neville did both Water ski and Alpine jumping for a while!

IMOP Waterski jumping has far more the extreme dynamic's involved if one wants to go far!

SkiFly anyone? Ill bring the boat!

• Baller_

@Klindy I wont take that bet!

@Ajskier no we did not have a V-10. One of the Lightning boats went to a Ford Executive and they put a Lightning engine package back in it.

Keep in mind their were 4 supercharged boats. two bubble backs 1999's and 2 2002 196's with supercharged LS 6 liters. When we stopped the program the 2002's were re-purposed and had natural aspirated 6 liters installed.

A few years ago Freddy told me he would love to take a poke at Jaret's Record. I know their are a number of young guy's that would like to Ski Fly again but they all say they aint doing it for nothing!! Got to Have some Chabo in the equation!

• Baller
@jody_seal, thank you for the information. Was it the mastercraft that they were running the big engine in? I do remember reading something along the way that one of the skifly boats was running a v-10, but from what I remember that was when they were first developing ski flying and not sure if that was the engine package that they landed on and used for tournaments.

• Baller_
I still dont know of any V-10 that were put in ski fly boats. MC had 496 BBC they ran, we (Nautiques) first ran Pythons/502 and then the lightning's and after that a supercharged LS package. I remember the very first Big block that PCM loaned us for ski fly testing the year before the Python came out, This bad boy was a Hoss! A ZZ 502, over 600 HP and over 500 ft pounds of torque and carbureted !!

• Baller

Best as I can recall, for one of the events on TV, I saw a radar-measured

73 mph at the ramp for Ski Flying.

Initially, was a great event where the Boyz could exceed the current record without

going too crazy at it. But, when they were going for the win, we had some big

crashes. See my comments in another post.