28mph to 5@28 36 mph in 1 1/2 seasons

jRoe

I saw the topic on the guy who blew thru the slalom loops into -39. I thought I would tell the story of my son in law that just started on the coarse and just "got it". As a beginner on the coarse he really got the feel and eye for the sport. To me he has "cat balance" able to adjust quickly. He does get to watch a lot -35 and -38 on my lake, and I feel he is a guy who learns by Visual aids. His tempo, balance, ability to take coaching and apply it, makes him a quick learner. Actually he doesn't get to ski as much as one would think.... School and all. Sometime if it's been 2 weeks or so before he has skied things can get ugly. But after several days later his back in the grove. Plus it took him all of 3 months to beat my daughters score 5@22 off 34 was her best. She cool with it,,,, I'm happy I have another skier in the family. Oh he skis on my old stuff .... Started on a mapple and finished with a mid ride Can't wait til it warms up, we got skiing to do!

• Baller

Everyone gets stuck somewhere. When we had access to buoys for 1 week per season I was a 32 to 34 mph 15 off guy.

Went to college ski team and had regular (summer) access and was thru 28 off 36 mph in very short order, but 32 off 36 mph was tough sledding and 35 off 36 happened once in practice only before turning 35 y.o. and dropping to 34 mph...not much progress given the 17 year interval.

After the speed drop, only took 5 MORE SHORT YEARS to run a tourney 38 at 34 mph despite nearly running it at my first 34 mph tourney weeks after the speed drop.

Just shorten the rope or bump the speed and be humbled/frustrated etc...funny sport that way but it keeps us coming back. Go Ballers everywhere...let's get the next line/speed no matter where you are now. I love hearing about PB's...practice and tourney both because at least in my limited experience neither comes easy.

• Baller
I think on of the best stories is Tom Brantley. He is ranked 13th in OM. He skies most of the time in open water with NO course. He does spend some time each year with Alan Hendrick in Dallas for a few weeks each year. Pretty impressive. Good open water skiers can adjust to a course pretty quickly if the have proper technique. I have seen guys run thru -32 off at 36 mph in less than a year on a course. They were very good open water skiers before getting into teh course.

• Baller
On the University of Cincinnati ski team, we had a kid who joined our team this year and who had never skied in his life before. He was running 32 and deep 34 by middle of the collegite ski season. I went out with him one morning and helped him run 36. He has been skiing 1 year and shortening the rope to 22 off.