Ask Rossi Chapter 2

Horton

• Administrators

We are evolving this as we go. This is part contest and part masters lecture.

Rossi will choose the best couple of questions and answer them. The authors of the best questions will get some sort of swag.

Put on your thinking cap and see if you can hatch the most interesting question for Mr. Rossi.

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Chris - thank you again for doing this! You have mentioned in a previous thread, how much time you spend on your setup and your gates in practice. Can you elaborate more specifically on what components of the pullout, the glide, the timing, and the gate that you focus on in an effort to improve in practice? If that topic is too broad, perhaps you might elaborate on the one component you feel has the greatest impact?

• Baller
When skiing, say 22, 28 and 32 - coming into the buoys early and with some width, what are you thinking when it is time to make the turn, or what specific body mechanics initiate the turn? Then, as the line shortens, and maybe you have less space and less width, what changes?

• Baller
Along the lines of Andy Mapple's recent video post about path of travel at 28 vs 38. When you were learning to get through 38, 39.5, and into 41 what should we focus on and think about to create a path that will get us through those shorter line lengths? Teach me how to run 38 every time in one prolific answer!

• Baller
Mr. Rossi thank you for doing this again. I have been told that I stare at the tip of my ski during my turns. I was wondering where your vision is during your pullout glide, centerline, entering the bouy, during the turn, and at the finish. I have been told to look at the next bouy and then set a line to be there earlier than the bouy. Also have been told to look straight across the lake at the far shore. Was wondering what your thoughts are and where you look during the various segments of the course. Thank you.

• Baller

In golf, they say that you can only have one swing thought. Any more than that and things will break down mechanically.

In this vein, if you had to have a single thought in a slalom run, what would it be? Would it be something to address a particular skier weakness, or would there be something that is important enough for all of us to benefit from?

• Baller
My son is just moving up to ski 36 mph. He was a mid 22 off skier at 34 mph. What are your recommendations for increasing speed. Am I best to just increase speed for him or should we work on getting 22 off and 28 off at 34 then speed up.

• Baller
I was struck once by something you wrote about not trying to take an "unskiable path" (I interpreted as too much angle = pulled inside at edge change), vs so many skiers, coaches and ad copywriters talking about "generating maximum angle". As a RFF skier who regularly struggles with early-but-narrow+slack at ball 1 (-28 off and beyond), I'm wondering if you can elaborate on picking the right path during the lean to maintain good outbound direction after the centerline?

• Baller

Hey Chris

I rode a ski (unnamed) for about 2 years and skied pretty well on it. The offside gave me a few fits though. I had a former pro skier add some rocker to the ski. For about a 6 week period it was hands down the best ski I'd ever ridden. I was able to relax and just think about me. I rarely missed 38. Unfortunately, adding rocker doesn't always hold. The ski eventually went back to it's original rocker. When building a ski, how do you choose a rocker that works for the masses, and does that work for you.. When buying a ski, are they variances from 1 ski to another. For example, let's use a Strada. Can 1 have a rocker of 1.840 and 1 of 1.900 out of the same mold.

In my pea brain, I think I should by 10 skis (Vapors, yes I'm kissing ass at this point) and find the one that works the best for me and my style and clone it.

Thanks a ton,

Chris S

• Baller

Thanks for doing this again Chris,

What do you think is the single most important key for someone to become consistent at 32 off? I have heard many things including edge change, getting on the front of the ski to make it slow down more, handle control, skiing more of an arc relative to the buoy instead of a straight line, and much more.

• Baller
Chris - thanks again for doing this. Was wondering if you can comment on your mindset/way of thinking in order to make 6 ball the best ball of them all. In other words as you round one buoy and maybe mess up a little do you start thinking about form in order to get a better next buoy or do you maintain the same thoughts throughout the pass?

Hey Chris,

While trying to improve my Olympic Weightlifting in the off season I've learned a ton from watching professional critique video's of other lifters. I'm able to understand problems and concepts that apply to my own lifting as I see and hear the critique of other lifters. Here is an example

(all of this is done on a simple, cheap, smart phone or tablet app called coaches eye). So I'm going to ask my question through a video of my skiing and see if you would want to critique it either through the coaches eye app or just by writing something. This would obviously be helpful to me but as I described earlier I think it would also be very helpful to everybody on the forum. I'm talking in this video and I ask my question there...

• Baller
Is there something that occurs in the path/edge change/cast out which makes it impossible to be patient at the end of the turn? I am just wondering why sometimes no matter how much I want to be patient, it seems that the boat picks me up before the ski has really come around fully.

• Baller

Chris -- loved the "smear". Was watching women's downhill last night and it is clear that they "smear" the skis ahead of the gate, just like you were talking about doing ahead of the buoy. Result is better downhill angle as they pass the gate. In short, they establish the angle they want with the skis before the skis get to the gate. Really helped me visualize!

So, my question is this: If a person can run -35 100% of the time and yet only run -35 30% of the time, what gives??? I feel like I should be 80% at -38!

• Baller

As a skier makes the jump from a 28/32 skier to a 35/38 skier, is there any particular on or off water drill you recommend to get the feel of the turns, pull, rhythm, etc? I know you recommend slowing down. How slow would you go for a 200 pound skier?

Thanks!!!!

• Baller
I have noticed that a lot of high end skiers are able to get there hips almost square to the boat during the pull and all the way to centerline, is there a drill outside the course or a stretch/workout you do to help accomplish this. Seems like on my hardest pass my shoulders and hips turn across course and I lead with my shoulders. Looking to solve that.

• Baller_

As the line gets shorter for you, are you doing anything different in any element of the set up for and the gate itself from loop to loop. If yes, what elements would that be? If not why not? How does your answer translate to all line lengths where a skier may be in a range of 4 makable passes each shorter then previous?. Example: A skier 15-32 off or skier 28-38 off.

ZO - What would be a skiing style element, in your mind, that would correspond to each setting? Example: skiers who snap around the turn and hook up early should use the C settings?

ZO - What setting corresponds best to beginners. Example; Female skier at 28mph 15 off.

• Baller
How do you get consistent at your hardest full pass? I have been running my current hardest pass for years, but not consistently . Even though I work on technique on my easier lengths, it all seems to go out the window when I get to my hardest pass.

• Baller

Chris,

As what I would describe as an intermediate course skier, running 28 25% of the time, when do you start worrying about fin adjustments? I really don't know much about fin adjustments and have kept it at stock minus the wing for the last couple of years. Will this improve my skiing. Is there a guide to what adjustments to make for specific skiing characteristics?