February Ski Ride Roll Call

Horton

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

First time ever skiing in February! My daughter and I skied at the Boarding School in Orlando yesterday morning. It was sunny and warm, low 70's. (Toronto is just now recovering from two snowstorms last week). We demo'd a new Lyric for Katie and a 2017 Senate Alloy for me.

Travis is an amazing and patient coach. I have two take-aways to think about till Ice out in April/ may.

I've been letting go too early before my turns causing immediate loss of width, and I've been pulling my arms in slightly rather than "hang loose with shoulders relaxied and slightly rolled in" while approaching the white water.

We both have lots of sore muscles today!

d5elfct236kn.jpg

mrebaucqp0fs.jpg

b5bx6di1nyb8.jpg

• Baller_

Well, one of us got to ski today (in the picture and not me) before the propeller fell off. Very odd, since the cotter pin was still in. It's almost like the nut broke apart. No boat damage.

46xx7vorcqfl.jpeg

9gnz26t9ac76.jpeg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MISkier - that shaft key appears bent and jammed obliquely in the shaft key slot.

You may need to clean up the edges (of the slot, new key needed of course) carefully with a fine file and read this:

Lap Fit a Prop

Voice of experience here since I deployed a new Acme 422 to the bottom of the lake a few years ago, where it still remains.

• Baller_
@Gloersen, the shaft key was about to fall out itself and was not fully in the slot. Actually, it's odd that it even stayed in, as the driver attempted to drive the boat after the prop fell off. That would have had that shaft spinning enough to fling that key out. We removed it before trailering down the road.

• Baller

Northern Ohio....Check. Air 61, water 39. Vest and board shorts only which is a requirement if you want the FILO crown. Keeping it in the family this year. Wife won it late November for being the Last Out. I snagged it yesterday for being the First In. And yes it was on a trick ski. My little 25hp Lund just can't quite get me up on a slalom.

f2pmwebhc3xm.jpg

o95izrrh7ne1.jpg

gl3yvzycgmgb.jpg

• Baller

Feb 18th Water (not warm) air 60ish. Southern Colorado camaro 2mm wet suit, @waterskigirl beanie, Forgot my warm gloves but skied anyway. 4 passes hands frozen. Ski season has started. Here's a pick to prove it.

u3rclr3ucduy.jpg

BTW My fellow skiers that day remarked that "stupidity loves company" Five of us so far have skied.

lfcieca8fdsh.jpg

Just to prove I didn't just sit on the back of the boat here's me heading back to the dock to uncurl my frozen hands. Really could have used my warm gloves. :s

@skier2788 If you come down to Pueblo you are always welcome to grab a set or 2.

• Baller

Skied yesterday in Nor Cal at Lakeside ranch! Rain was supposed to come in at 1pm but it started closer to 11am. Still was stoked to ski into my personal best line length following 3 weeks off the water. Only did one set due to the rain pelting my face by the sixth pass.

It rained all the way home, last night and pouring today. All the creeks and rivers in Tuolumne county are flooded again with the Don Pedro spill way opened for the first time in 20 years. New Melones is filling slower but steady at almost 60% now -this is without the massive snow pack in the sierra's that will feed it in a few months!!!

• Baller_

Yesterday. Air = 60. Water = 34. Form = bad.

This is my first February ski ever and anywhere. Beats my previous earliest start by about 3 weeks. Our ski lake is also ice free, so thinking of putting buoys in next weekend - previously 3/24 was the earliest.

There were some ice chunks scattered outside the bay we skied yesterday. I expect those will be gone today or tomorrow.

The only month I haven't skied in Michigan is January. I have skied that in Florida.

u4fpzp2dg77w.jpeg

• Baller

Didn't have enough time to drop the boat in before darkness arrived, but hoping to dodge the wind and rain forecast for tomorrow and ski after work. I did get the dock and rails in the water tonight after work, which is necessary to get my boat in the water. I've skied a few times in February before, but never have installed my dock in February. Still have some adjusting of the new bumpers to do yet.

dhg0bjy4gnvt.jpg