Paternal Perplexity

Andy

• Baller

Junk yard Cadillac seat belts can be rigged into rear facing observers seats and used for infants in car seats.

Driving buoys with a three-year old on your lap builds character.

Skiing at 6 a.m. allows for making kids breakfast at 7:30.

A handle attached to sturdy furniture allows your toddler to simulate deep water barefoot starts, one foots, front-to-backs and back-to-fronts.

Boat OCD is out the window at times...ground up cheesy fish in my carpet is homey. OK, that was hard to take...cordless vac in the boat!

Swimming around the boat with your kids arms around your neck making motor noises and blowing bubbles is priceless.

Be ready for brutally honest coaching such as:

1: (deep water starts) Mom if you just quit letting go of the handle you will get up every time. It's pretty easy really, SO this time just don't let go ok?

2: (hardest pass) Dad if you just quit falling down you will run the pass. It's pretty easy really, SO this time just don't fall down ok?

Yes my daughter did this to both of us (#1 to the wife, #2 to me) when she was younger and riding in the boat.

• Baller
Back about 20+ years ago when we were all having kids, we all took turns with kids in car/boat seats, and paying a mindful eye when they were playing around the beach area. It's what ski buds do.... Saw a lot of blue diapers running around!

• Baller
One day I took my then 3 year old to lake. Later that day my wife comes to pick her up and comments that it is really windy today, to which my 3 year old replies "That's a tailwind mommy!". The thought of that still makes me smile.

• Baller
I love spending time on the water with my kids and it is even better when they want to go to tournaments. My son got me into tournament skiing and I get to spend a ton of quality time with him. My youngest is 14 now and it is hard to remember when he was the size of @SkiJay's little one.