Favorite Skiing Lens

Phil2360

Be interested in some of the photographers opinions on which lens you prefer for in the boat photos.

Think I need to add something of suitable length, but not sure which to choose.

Canon mount, & thoughts were 18-85 or 24-105.

What do most of you use?

Cheers

Phil

Yes, APS-C. That is Nikon's new Expeed or something sensor right? I have heard great things about it.

I shoot Olympus. The E-3, weather-proof pro-grade body. Honestly way to heavy for lugging around on hikes, which is most of my photography hobby. But, alas, I am in love with Oly's colors OOB. Just picked up Olys Pro lens 12-60 (24-120 35mm eqv)

• Baller

Also rocking a 70-200 F/4 IS L, on a 70D. Once you go L glass there is no turning back so be careful!

I will say that on the cheap the EF 50mm F/1.8 prime "plastic fantastic"/"nifty fifty" is a good focal length on a crop sensor for nice, crisp shots from the boat. Great option for under 100.00 and will outperform your kit lens as long as you don't need more reach.

Please be carefull mentioning "L" lenses, they can cause conflict to arise here....

70-200 F2.8 ISII L on my 50D is a bit tight a lot of the time.

Which makes me have to resort back to the EF-S 18-200.

BIG step sideways, but find 70mm can still be too long for a lot of shots.

It is a good Kit lens, BUT not L sharp & only Micro Motor focus, so is what it is?

Thought a 24-104 might be suitable, but not particularly wide.

@jhughes, Mrs Me understands the value of Carbon Skis & "L" Glass Vs Jewellery.....

70-200 2.8II L & 100-400L.

Great L lens's but think I need something shorter with good IQ.

Your comment is interesting @Horton..... 28-70mm, do you sometimes want a little more reach?

Maybe 100 to 120mm?

Interesting bit of info from yesterday.... Bear in mind that the 70mm figure is distorted as I took the 70-200mm for the first runs & used it zoomed all the way out.

fbd54ef8af0607a33d5f736ca12b29.jpg

@ToddL Good to have another "odd ball" Oly user! Cannot beat the Oly color and sharp glass huh? Anyway, how do you like the 50-200? Is it the Mk1 or the SWD? Good AF speed? I have the Mk1 40-150 3.5-4.5 and it's a very good lens. I am considering getting the 50-200 and selling the 40-150 if it will be worth it for the AF speed.

• Baller
@DooSPX - I love it. I am very armature in photography skills. I just moved up from the E-500 to the E3. I have had the lens for about 8 months though. I primarily upgraded the lens for low light action shots without a flash (son playing baseball at night, etc.). I use manual focus more than auto, so I can't really comment in depth on auto focus speed. It is significantly better than the E-500 kit lenses. I think I have the first gen SWD.

@ToddL does it have a blue ring near the front element or only a chrome ring? Blue ring is MkII SWD. Just a chrome ring is the MkI no SWD but same lens other wise. I still have my E-520. Thinking of selling it as the E3 trumps it in every way except for weight.

• Baller
Nikon D7000 and D7100 (DX crop bodies) Our go to lens is a Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 for nice tight shots of the skier from the boat. Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f2.8 if we want wider shots, but at the 70mm range we can get nice shot of the skier and a good bit of background. Attached photo was taken on the D7100 at 200mm.

• Baller

Another vote for the Canon 70 -200 f4L IS on a crop (70d). A nice range for skiing, though most people I ski with top out at 35 off or so.

The 2.8 would be nice for DOF some times, but there is usually plenty of light when we are skiing so a fast lens isn't really worth the extra size/weight.

• Baller

I would classify myself as a lazy photographer, but I like the 50mm f1.4 with a Canon 5d2 for taking pictures from inside the boat. I find that it's generally wide enough on the full-frame sensor and I have enough resolution that I can zoom a decent amount in post when necessary.

Even though primes aren't as flexible as zooms, they tend to have better sharpness, aren't as fiddly, and the 50mm in particular is much lighter than my zooms. I choose it over the 24-70 and 70-200 almost every time, but I might also just be weird like that.

If I were shooting from the shore then I'd go with the 70-200 or something longer (if I had such a lens).

• Baller

@horton Nikon now makes a 70-200 f4 that's supposed to be tack sharp and lighter/less expensive then the 2.8 version. f4 is plenty fast for daytime skiing, it wouldn't be enough for night football games (but I guess you are a few years from that).

• Baller
@Horton everything is a compromise, @Kelvin is right as is @Bibirlew. As long as the lens quality level is the same/all other things being equal (for example both L lenses with IS in Canonland) the F4 is the way to go for outdoor shooting.

@Horton

Do what I did while I was hanging out for my "L" lenses.

Get one of these.....

They do draw the odd weird look from by-standers though.

http://gerrygibbscamerawarehouse.com.au/images/Nikon%2070-200%20cup.jpg

Actually looks a better mug than my Canon one.

Cheers.

• Baller
Can't beat the L 70-200. I have least expensive version (f 4.0) and it's awesome from the boat. Another great lens were lucky to have is the 1.8 85 mm prime lens. Glass is awesome for slalom at almost any line length. A pro sports photog once told me zooms are for amateurs and prime's are pros choice (when budget allows). Still can't go wrong with 70-200 f4. Used they go for around $500.