Connelly XLP VS. Connelly outlaw

Amoore

Hello. My name is Anders and i have been water skiing for 5 years. I am a new member and i am trying to become more knowledgeable about water skiing and to immerse myself in the slalom ski culture.

last year i bought a Connolly XLP 71in from a friend and became proficient on it over the 2013 ski season. I was told that this Connolly XLP is about 20 year old. As a result of heavy use i tore the front boot. I promptly replaced the front boot to finish out the season. By the end of the season i had torn the rear boot as well. I made the decision to buy a new ski for the next season instead of investing the value of a new ski into a 20 year old ski. with out much research or knowledge of ski styles, sizes or whats appropriate for my size and skill level i hastily bought a Connolly outlaw 67in. i have done further research now that i have received the ski. I am concerned that i have bought a shaped ski when i have spent the past year practicing on a traditional ski. As most know it has been far to cold to ski even with a wetsuit, so i have not had a chance to try out my Connolly outlaw.

I am looking for advice from people experienced in different types of ski styles and sizes. Should i be patient, wait for the weather to warm up and ski on the outlaw, or should i return the outlaw and look for a traditional style ski?

This is the Connolly XLP 71in. photo.php?fbid=590806580996268&set=pcb.590806644329595&type=1&theater

This is the Connolly outlaw 67in. photo.php?fbid=590806537662939&set=pcb.590806644329595&type=1&theater

I do plan to skiing a buoy course. i weigh 180lb and i ski around 30-34mph. i have been skiing behind a 19ft Tahoe but i have gotten hooked up to ski with a guy that owns a mastercraft. when you ask where i do not know if you mean the lake or the location behind the boat. i have only recently gotten serious about slalom skiing.

@Horton thanks for the advice. Im looking at investing in a 190 American skier and i want to have equipment that can preform at my ski level. Do you have any recommendations on a ski that would be a good for competitive skiing?

• Baller

@Amoore, by where I meant on a course or free skiing.

The outlaw might be a good ski for starting the course @ 26 to 30 MPH, much better than a good ski for competitive skiing at these speeds (which really start to perform well at much higher speeds and shorter ropes) and costing 1/4 or less... Do you have bindings for it?

@Amoore, I'm using the sidewider on a Connelly V, lost the lever that pushes the binding's heel up.

Connelly replaced the binding under warranty.

To prevent a re-occurance, I tethered the lever with stainless steel cable/trace (the ones fishermen uses) and attached it to the screw attaching the binding to the ski.

• Administrators

There are a number very good upper- mid-range skis. They are going to cost less and will hold you until you have more experience.

HO CX or Radar Senate or Connelly V are good choices. O’Brien makes something out of the old Sixam2 mold. These skis may not set world records but they will help you build a good foundation.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Agree with @Horton , get the fundamentals rolling, then when you can consistently run the course, start looking the next ski to "ski into". Meaning, if you are talking Radar, then maybe a Senate C, then a Vice, then maybe a Strada.

BUT, I would also say, ONCE you are consistently getting through the course at 34-36 MPH, it won't hurt you to jump to the best ski for you. Mostly based on preference. DEMO EVERYTHIGN AT THAT POINT.