MasterCraft Pro Star Production

volsandskis

• Baller_

@ShaneH,

I believe Malibu still sells the Response LX. But, you did say having the lower margin product compete with the higher margin product was the questionable decision. I wonder if Malibu makes some good money on the older Response line and, thus, does not mind selling a few of those next to the TXi. I wonder how that might change after going public.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@ShaneH,

Thanks for that information. Wow, I had no idea the volume was so low. I expected it to be much more substantial than that. I have to admit, it surprises me that the market is not there. And, with the number you gave, I wonder how long Malibu would continue to do it.

I agree that the newer boats continue to have more comfort, features and innovative ergonomic/utilitarian design. But, the skiability or drivability difference would not seem to be that great. For full disclosure, I have not skied nor driven the 2014 Prostar. I am sure that beats the 197 by a mile, but does it really set itself apart from the older, classic, proven hulls?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@ShaneH I don't know exact figures for the Mastercraft but understand that 88k is unrealistic. My point is why do these dealers (not just Mastercraft) inflate the prices to these extremes just silly in my opinion. I think I know the answer just don't see the point!

• Baller
@bdougherty Not all dealers do that. And they aren't just putting arbitrarily high prices. In most cases, they are putting what the boat mfr lists as the MSRP. There are those out there who put realistic prices on the boats, especially at shows. For comparison purposes, though.......... if you go to the Houston Auto Show or Detroit Auto Show, or the Indy Auto Show, the dealers and mfrs don't put a realistic sell price on the cars. They put MSRP.

• Baller
Malibu built 6 lx's in '13 from what I understand. That is a loss, as the break even point to maintain molds, mold storage, inventory, etc is way more than 6 boats.

How is that a loss? The molds were paid for years ago, they just pull one out occasionally and build a boat to order (pre-paid for too as I understand it), all they have in it is maybe having the mold taking up some storage space somewhere. Old mold with latest engine etc, built to order and pre-paid for at current market pricing. How are they not making money on that? I'm sure they don't advertise it because that's not want they want to focus on, but if someone wants one it's a boat they might not have sold anyway and it keeps the assembly line running.

• Baller

@ShaneH, are you telling us that the TXI and/or 200 is going for true sale price of $45K with a trailer? If so, I may have to buy one or two or three from that dealer.

I would be very, very, very surprised if any average customer would get any of the Big 3 for less than $55K out the door; promo maybe.

• Baller
So, the basic PS w/ single axle trailer "should be" around $60K-$65K to the average Joe? Knock $10K off of that for the promo? So at the end of 2014 season (August for the promo guys) you are probably looking at $50K - $55K depending on your negotiation skills and how well you can hide the drooling.

• Baller

@OB

I agree there have been improvements since the TSC1, but after owning '06, '07 and '08 196's (a'12 200 being our current rig) I just don't think the wake is lights out better. Repower a TSC1 with ZO, and it becomes just as capable as new boat...at least I can't tell the difference at the handle end.

• Baller
...you don't just stuff fiberglass tooling into storage and pull it out a few times a year. Molds need a lot of maintenance. In and of itself, sitting is as bad as overuse. And the larger the mold, the more maintenance needed.

A mold is a mold eh? Would it be incorrect to assume the maintenance required is the same regardless of whether or not it's an older or a newer one?

• Baller

@shaneH is the 200 set up more important? I've skied a lot of 196's of various years and they are consistently excellent. The first 200 I skied I thought threw the best wake, hands down I had ever skied. The next two 200's I was excited they were at the tourney and the wakes were good, but not blow me away good...in fact I think I prefer the 196 to those 200's. I could only think it was something in the set-up.

Regardless, sure love the mellow ZO pull on the 200's (at least feels like that to me).

• Baller
I'll submit, the 200 wake is a bit softer, but not $30k softer. Don't get me wrong, I love the 200, but I think the major improvements are the tracking, space and creature comforts, as opposed to just the wake. I love being able to ski behind one daily, but I would be fine if I had to go back to a 196. Heck, I still love the wake behind our old '91 Prostar. Maybe I'm just far less picky than other ballers?

• Baller_
I think the 200 wake may be a bit better at 22 off. IMO the 28 off bump is not big but it is an ankle buster. It could be due to all the different props being used on the 200. Not sure why but the 200 with the 6L engine feels softer and 28 bump is gone.

• Baller

"New is stupid" is a subjective point of view. I just prefer to buy new, whether it's boats, cars, motorcycles, or whatever. Does it make the most financial sense? Nope, but I get to break it in, and know exactly how it was treated from day 1. I've purchased a couple used boats in the past, but just haven't been as satisfied for one reason or another. I also did sell my '08 for $30k btw, just like everyone else. $37k for a 200 sounds like a sweet deal, but I have no more interest in a 600 hour used boat than a 50k mile used car, regardless of how much life it has left in it. It's just my humble opinion, nothing more...to each their own.

Back to the thread, I hope MC sells all the Prostars they can build. I can't wait to ski one, if the ice ever melts here in WI.

@Ilivetoski I understand your thinking, especially being a broke college kid, but when the time comes to buy a boat and you want a great Nautique promo boat - hit me up... But just so you know... I sold this year's boat in Oct and have my 14 sold as well (even though I haven't taken delivery yet). I think that the boat market is doing great. No - not everyone can afford top of the line ski boat, but if you work hard after graduation - you'll more than likely get what you desire.