28 off vs 38 off Setup Differences

klindy

• Baller_
I watched that and almost posted it. What is very interesting to me is the overlapping shot's of 28 vs 38 and the significant difference in the path. I am a double pump at times kinda skier he refers to. Hard to get rid of that. If I ski without the double pump, 38 is double. When I'm skiing on a new ski I tend to set them up to ski great at 28 and 32 or at least I end up there. And then I love the ski. But it takes me forever to figure out how to make it run shorter. But when I get it to, the 28 becomes the squarely pass and it gets easier through 35 like he says. Sure wish he would have enlightened us on the fin setting differences cause I cannot remember what I did.

• Baller_
I watched that and almost posted it. What is very interesting to me is the overlapping shot's of 28 vs 38 and the significant difference in the path. I am a double pump at times kinda skier he refers to. Hard to get rid of that. If I ski without the double pump, 38 is double. When I'm skiing on a new ski I tend to set them up to ski great at 28 and 32 or at least I end up there. And then I love the ski. But it takes me forever to figure out how to make it run shorter. But when I get it to, the 28 becomes the squarely pass and it gets easier through 35 like he says. Sure wish he would have enlightened us on the fin setting differences cause I cannot remember what I did.

• Baller
I also noticed that Andy stays more upright and with the handle closer for longer at -38, something that I have felt makes a big difference for me in terms of carrying my speed out to the buoy line at that length. A little counterintuitive as sometimes when we think about shortening the line we think about getting stretched out.

• Baller
I also noticed that Andy stays more upright and with the handle closer for longer at -38, something that I have felt makes a big difference for me in terms of carrying my speed out to the buoy line at that length. A little counterintuitive as sometimes when we think about shortening the line we think about getting stretched out.

• Baller

@Wish Exactly what I was hoping for opening this thread.

Bet there is a general direction for setting a ski up for 38 vs 28.

28 is my opener and one ski I had set up to work at my hardest passes (35,38) was so difficult to ski 28 I even worried about making my opener.

Through 28 and then ahhh, finally, 32 off, pressure off..

• Baller

@Wish Exactly what I was hoping for opening this thread.

Bet there is a general direction for setting a ski up for 38 vs 28.

28 is my opener and one ski I had set up to work at my hardest passes (35,38) was so difficult to ski 28 I even worried about making my opener.

Through 28 and then ahhh, finally, 32 off, pressure off..

• Baller
I'm surprised that no one has keyed in on how early that @Mapple is releasing the outside hand from the handle. But even though he's off the handle 10' outside the whitewater, he's got the handle low and in and slowly feeds it out. I've watched a lot of video of Andy and I never noticed that. From the edge of the whitewater to the buoy, he's off the handle longer than he's on.

• Baller
I'm surprised that no one has keyed in on how early that @Mapple is releasing the outside hand from the handle. But even though he's off the handle 10' outside the whitewater, he's got the handle low and in and slowly feeds it out. I've watched a lot of video of Andy and I never noticed that. From the edge of the whitewater to the buoy, he's off the handle longer than he's on.

• Baller
I was surprised at how similar those 2 lines into one ball actually looked. Huge difference to the trained eye and course skier, not a huge difference to the average spectator.. His technical approach and attention to detail are second to none

• Baller
I was surprised at how similar those 2 lines into one ball actually looked. Huge difference to the trained eye and course skier, not a huge difference to the average spectator.. His technical approach and attention to detail are second to none

What I found most interesting is what Shane picked up on, handle low and slowly feeding it out. Given the path that he's skiing, he can't reach like he does at 28 as that will make him get to his final width too soon. By doing this, he appears to be saving the energy produced by the boat to get higher on the boat. The other interesting thing is the angle difference of the rope as he's mid way through the turn. 38 is way up on the boat and the load as he reconnects looks huge for a very short period.

What you don't see in the video is Mike Mapple getting soaked at the end of each turn. The guy's a trooper.

• Baller
So I guess my question is should I change my ski setup? I open at 22 off and my average is 4@35. I have only run 35 once and it was in practice. Should I change my ski setup to help at 35 or leave it alone until I run 35 off more consistently? In general I don't fiddle with my ski I tend to think any problems I have are technique issues not ski issues so my impulse is to say leave it alone and fix my technique.

@Garn What @SkiJay said for sure. A friend of mine is a short line MII skier. I watched him backup some (what I call) short line passes with plenty of real estate before each ball and later asked if he had to change the setup for Florida vs New Jersey water. He said he just left it where Andy set it. Nothing but good to say about Mr. Mapple.