94 Pro Star 205 vs. 96 Sunsetter LX

jcamp

• Baller

Looking at two older walk-through open bows ... How does the slalom wake on a 96 Sunsetter LX compare to a 94 Pro Star 205? I'm guessing the 205 is better, but curious how much worse the Sunsetter is. I ski into 35 off and am hoping to get into 38 in the next couple years.

I know the Sunsetter LXIs that start in 99 are much, much better, but I just don't have the budget for one right now. And I really need a walk through open bow so that excludes the Response.

I appreciate any and all input.

I ski a '97 Sunsetter LX several times weekly and a 94 PS205. I would prefer to ski the Sunsetter. The 205 wake is more firm and the 22 off bump is unpleasant. Regardless, when I'm offered the pull, I take it. Both of those boats seem very weight sensitive. Low fuel levels and a small crew improve the weight issues with both. One thing to consider in the evaluation I offer is the prop can have an affect on the wake characteristics. The Sunsetter wake was greatly improved after replacing the stock prop with an ACME 525.

I ski a '97 Sunsetter LX several times weekly and a 94 PS205. I would prefer to ski the Sunsetter. The 205 wake is more firm and the 22 off bump is unpleasant. Regardless, when I'm offered the pull, I take it. Both of those boats seem very weight sensitive. Low fuel levels and a small crew improve the weight issues with both. One thing to consider in the evaluation I offer is the prop can have an affect on the wake characteristics. The Sunsetter wake was greatly improved after replacing the stock prop with an ACME 525.

• Baller

I think I would lean toward the 205. My buddy has a 96 205, and I'm told that is the year that the hull changed and the wake got bigger. I think the wake is still nicer than my other buddy's 95 SSLX. To be fair, the SSLX I'm talking about has the 454 and I can't imagine the extra large engine makes the wake any smaller. Also, one more disclaimer is that I'm only judging them at long line, and 15 off, also speeds of 30 mph and 32 mph, so basically rope lengths and speeds that you aren't concerned with unless you have people in your entourage skiing at that level.

If walk through open bow is the only requirement, what about an echelon lx?

• Baller

I think I would lean toward the 205. My buddy has a 96 205, and I'm told that is the year that the hull changed and the wake got bigger. I think the wake is still nicer than my other buddy's 95 SSLX. To be fair, the SSLX I'm talking about has the 454 and I can't imagine the extra large engine makes the wake any smaller. Also, one more disclaimer is that I'm only judging them at long line, and 15 off, also speeds of 30 mph and 32 mph, so basically rope lengths and speeds that you aren't concerned with unless you have people in your entourage skiing at that level.

If walk through open bow is the only requirement, what about an echelon lx?

My vote is the MC PS205. Great open bow boat for the money. Find one with the LT1 and it will plain rip your arms off. In 93 MC offered the LT1 as an option (and only EFI in 93) in 94 MC switched to all EFI standard starting with the base 350cid chevy TBI.

• Baller
I owned that boat and enjoyed every minute of it. It's a very versatile boat in terms of pulling any discipline, adding weight for a decent wakeboard wake, trick, etc. Slalom wake is exactly what you would expect in a mid size, twenty year old ski boat. Not bad by any stretch, but fairly hard, a fair amount of chine spray, and a decent bump at the wakes - particularly at 22 . Having said that, I've watched people ski up and down the line with lots of success behind that boat, just not any world records. Great boat!