Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Holes in Fin

MrB

I just bought a Nano 1 on SIA and am setting the fin to stock numbers. I noticed the fin was drilled adding a hole. The fin has 6 holes instead of 5. What will that do to the fin? I am also having a heck of a time setting the fin. I pulled it out and washed the clamp and the fin with vinegar and it seems to move easier but I can't get the numbers set. Every time I set one the others go crazy. What is going on? I need advice.

• Baller

About the extra hole maybe the previous owner was using the ventral wings; I do not think that will make any deference to the ski characteristics.

For the fin setting, take the clamp out, take all the bolts out as well and clean them carefully from the salt deposits and rinse them. Especially for the clamp, be more careful because it is made of aluminium and if you won’t rinse it fast the vinegar will leave stain marks.

For the measurement (depth, length), untight two bolts at a time so the already set numbers will stay the same (almost). Start from DFT because if you have to change it after you have set the other numbers you might have to start over.

• Baller_
@MrB Pull the fin completely out of the fin box and check the little upper fins that the set screws push against. You may have some wear in that area and it makes the fin hard to set. File things smooth if you have some groves on them. You may want to get a stock fin and compare the 2. I tried the extra hole and liked it.

• Baller

Well, there were 2 girls in the picture....

I would think the extra hole relieves tail pressure so the ski doesn't force the tip up if run deeper or further back. Just a WAG.

For the record, I have not tried the extra hole... in addition, if it doesn't move in the slot well, maybe some lube that is water soluble would help.

• Baller

I had a fin that would move every time I tightened up the fin box past snug.

I had to approximate the movement and set it up a little off my target when snug, trying to account for the change when tight.

• Baller

@skialex The extra hole is usually to make significantly more fin depth or very short distance from tail settings work without making it too hard to smear the tail around a tight turn. These are both extreme measures often aimed at using more of the ski by strong advanced skiers.

Another version of the extra hole mod is to cut away the fin behind one of the holes. This option also softens fin flex. All of this can really mess with your skiing if you don't know what you are doing.

http://www.jagersport.com/images/FMCRStd2.jpg

• Baller_

Holes in the fin do several things. The most significant and most common description is that they "relieve pressure". The pressure can be thought of as resisting turning and/or forcing the tail to pop out. So holes will allow the ski to turn more easily and stay in the water.

A secondary effect is essentially reducing fin area so the ski will turn easier.

The effect of the holes is different than moving the fin and I would not recommend trying to adjust the fin to compensate for holes.

Location of the holes is also important, very similar to the common fin adjustments. Adding holes near the leading edge keeps the tip down on the offside turn. The hole you show will affect the tail slide on both sides and allow the tail to arc out earlier in the preturn. It may even finish the turn with slightly more angle.

The overall effect of more holes is much more subtle than most people would think. Probably similar in magnitude to a 0.005" fin movement. That is you have to be really consistent to say whether the ski is behaving differently, you are doing something differently, or if the effect is in your head.

Bottom line is I doubt you'll notice any difference, especially of you're moving to a new ski. If you want, ski on it for a month, then try a stock fin in EXACTLY the same spot and see of you can tell a difference.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

Holes in the fin do several things. The most significant and most common description is that they "relieve pressure". The pressure can be thought of as resisting turning and/or forcing the tail to pop out. So holes will allow the ski to turn more easily and stay in the water.

A secondary effect is essentially reducing fin area so the ski will turn easier.

The effect of the holes is different than moving the fin and I would not recommend trying to adjust the fin to compensate for holes.

Location of the holes is also important, very similar to the common fin adjustments. Adding holes near the leading edge keeps the tip down on the offside turn. The hole you show will affect the tail slide on both sides and allow the tail to arc out earlier in the preturn. It may even finish the turn with slightly more angle.

The overall effect of more holes is much more subtle than most people would think. Probably similar in magnitude to a 0.005" fin movement. That is you have to be really consistent to say whether the ski is behaving differently, you are doing something differently, or if the effect is in your head.

Bottom line is I doubt you'll notice any difference, especially of you're moving to a new ski. If you want, ski on it for a month, then try a stock fin in EXACTLY the same spot and see of you can tell a difference.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@MrB Not necessarily. You might want to be prepared to get a new fin, but I'd definitely try what you have first. There are combinations of distinctly non-stock settings that work really well. If the previous owner knew what he was doing, and if his final setup is still on the ski unchanged, you should record exactly where everything is and try it. You may like it. Then you can try factory stock and go back to this custom setup if you like it better. I'd be curious to know what the custom fin, wing, and binding settings that came on this ski are =)

• Baller
@MrB Not necessarily. You might want to be prepared to get a new fin, but I'd definitely try what you have first. There are combinations of distinctly non-stock settings that work really well. If the previous owner knew what he was doing, and if his final setup is still on the ski unchanged, you should record exactly where everything is and try it. You may like it. Then you can try factory stock and go back to this custom setup if you like it better. I'd be curious to know what the custom fin, wing, and binding settings that came on this ski are =)

@Bruce_Butterfield, very interesting. A new fin is $35. I guess I will wait til ice out and try for awhile before I change anything. I will set to stock numbers. I will keep my previous ski until I know I like the Nano 1.

@Bruce_Butterfield, very interesting. A new fin is $35. I guess I will wait til ice out and try for awhile before I change anything. I will set to stock numbers. I will keep my previous ski until I know I like the Nano 1.

• Baller

I guess the extra hole (allowing deeper or further back settings) is similar to these ideas...

http://www.schnitzskis.com/images/780_DSC_0492a_Speed_SlotFin_.4mp.jpg

http://www.schnitzskis.com/images/926_IM000483a.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq-cQZYZr20cMbftnHrOURgQs60cY8ojSS86CfaeaQLHuXeGstpw

• Baller

I guess the extra hole (allowing deeper or further back settings) is similar to these ideas...

http://www.schnitzskis.com/images/780_DSC_0492a_Speed_SlotFin_.4mp.jpg

http://www.schnitzskis.com/images/926_IM000483a.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq-cQZYZr20cMbftnHrOURgQs60cY8ojSS86CfaeaQLHuXeGstpw

@skialex, Took the fin out of the clamp, washed clamp and fin in vinegar, rinsed well, used a thin nail file to clean inside the clamp, put it all together and fin moves smoothly. @gyoung Watched @chrisrossi videos (excellent) and almost done setting the fin. I probably will get my buddy to help me finish but at least I am close.

@skialex, Took the fin out of the clamp, washed clamp and fin in vinegar, rinsed well, used a thin nail file to clean inside the clamp, put it all together and fin moves smoothly. @gyoung Watched @chrisrossi videos (excellent) and almost done setting the fin. I probably will get my buddy to help me finish but at least I am close.