whats your weird habit

skier2788

• Baller
Watching skiing videos from the summer and the girlfriend points out that I always get a mouth full of water and then spit it back out whenever I am sitting in the water. So its winter and I was wondering whats your weird habit? Specific way you put on your ski? Have to always wet your handle? Lets hear them.

• Baller
@skier2788…I do the same thing with the water spitting. I'd bet there is a long list of pre-course routines everyone goes through before entering the course. Sort of like a golfer and his pre-shot routine. I don't have the time to detail all of my rituals!

• Baller_

Did not even know I did this until recently when I watched a video of a my set. But I must have been doing it for yrs or longer. As I round ball 6, I come back to the handle and grab it both palms down. No baseball grip. I didn't even think that was possible to change grip at 38 especially at 6 ball. But, there it was. Now that I'm aware of it, it seems weird. But baseball gripping the handle outa 6 feels weirder.

When getting into the water from a boat, I will sit down on the back (not the platform) and swing to where I am side saddle on the gunnel facing the boat crew and slide in that way. No leaping off the platform.

• Baller

@ozski havent seen that one before

@moggie have to do that really fast at some of the lakes I have skied.

@wish it must be a thing with really good skiers I see a lot of pros go palm down on the pullout to sit after the course. Its weird for me to hold a handle that way. Even tricking or barefooting I still hold it baseball style.

@onside135 true true trunks must be pulled down in front and up in back.

• Baller
After getting up, pull down shorts, blow water out of each nostril, and do 2-3 quick hops on my ski (only first time getting up though, if I fall and start again, I do the first 2 but leave out the hops). My wife and kids think I'm wierd...

• Baller

We ski some really short sites in tournaments so I make it a practice to never adjust my shorts or do anything special even at my home site. That way I don't feel rushed or uncomfortable at those sites.

My son always dunks his ski before he puts it on and he skis in a Reflex so it doesn't make a difference.

• Baller

MS gets in the water and does the "Shake"....must get every trace of sloosh out of his bindings!

Untwists the rope, pulls his shorts down after he gets up, does a quick little jerk move, and then stands up to attention! Sometimes he laughs and talks when he is skiing! Lol

• Baller
With the handle in my hands, while I am waiting for the boat to pull up slack, I let go of the handle with my right hand and Sqeeze it in a fist to get all the "extra" water out of my glove. Then I grab the handle with my right hand and let go with the left. Then I squeeze water out of my left glove. I then keep the handle above the water until the boat pulls me up. Maybe I should get smaller gloves? Nah, I probably just need to adjust the fin to counteract the water I got in my gloves coming around 4 ball due to excessive counter rotation. That's it.

• Baller

As I am approaching the 55's, I always wipe the water from my face. Back when I used kevlar gloves, I would always have a scab on the end of my nose from the rough surface.

Also, always pull my shorts over my thighs immediately after the get up, even if I have to do it while I am going around the island.

• Baller
Sometimes in practice, and very often in tournaments, I find myself doing a bit of a Nomar thing and re-adjusting the velcro on my gloves while in the water between passes. This is nearly always toward tighter -- it feels like they loosen up during the first pass or two.

• Baller
Before I switched from Strada boots to Reflex, I would always put back foot in first - making sure my heel would still slide up so it would release in the event of a crash, then repeat for front foot. Now I still put my back foot in first - I can't seem to balance putting my front foot in first. I always have to be able to read the engraving on my handle. I don't stretch my arms straight until in the water with the handle in both hands. Then once up I do a wiggle to relax my arms before pulling out for my pregate.

So, @OB, does that mean in a real tense tournament situation your first PDP is complete, thus attenuating your tension level to perfectly match your practice level? Seems like you'd want all the strength available in a tournament situation, so your tension attenuation routine is creating suboptimal strength reserves.

We're in some deep (and pissy) waters here, and your approach needs some explaining.

• Baller
Haven't seen this one, I actually pull the legs of my board shorts up before a deep water start to keep them from ballooning up with water. Then as everyone else does I tug them back into place once I'm up out of the water.

• Baller

I know @frankS always spits out a bit of water before before his run.

I make sure the handle is mostly free of any weeds and I usually have to pull some off once I'm up. Ofcourse, pulling down the shorts is a must. A quick visual and deep breaths, and I'm through the gates.

• Baller

I do all the typical stuff - wipe face, adjust shorts, then go!

Our lake has a lot of livestock on the property for a tax exemption and the lake property is surrounded by farmland. Every time I see a skier do the lake water spit move, I cringe... I think about all of the runoff from the cattle and crop dusters.

PS: our cows are rated officials by now. Just ask @MAD11

• Baller

I do all the typical stuff - wipe face, adjust shorts, then go!

Our lake has a lot of livestock on the property for a tax exemption and the lake property is surrounded by farmland. Every time I see a skier do the lake water spit move, I cringe... I think about all of the runoff from the cattle and crop dusters.

PS: our cows are rated officials by now. Just ask @MAD11