Adjusting to hard shells

Bill22

• Baller

I am looking at getting my first set of hard shells this season (front foot only + RTP).

1. How long does it take to get adjusted to hard shells?

2. Do hard shell help you learn good form and technique faster?

3. Reflex size 10 short or long base?

The Reflex site shows short for size 4,6,8 but Miami Nautique has short base with size 10. A short base would have less affect on ski flex? Probably only matter for short line.

• Administrators

It is critical that you get some set up advice. If you set the release a little too loose you are going to crash and if it is a little too tight it will not release. I think there is a Mapple video around somewhere about this.

Besides that it might take a few rides to be comfortable. No big deal.

Unless your current bindings are junk this upgrade will most likely not mean a huge change in ball count. I do not see how it will impact your learning curve. At your level a weekend with a good coach will do more for your ball count.

On the other hand, Reflex is generally very comfortable and fans of the system LOVE it

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_
Went to hard shells back in 2002. But I still remember how long it took to get used to them. Took many days and many many sets. But I will never go back. As to making you have better technique, it may. It just may force you to ski better. I feel they can amplify mistakes. Get on the front and you really get on the front. Wheelie and you really wheelie. Get in a lean lock and you..... You get the idea. But I feel it amplifies what I do right as well. I have double hard shells so that may be different they just one and a kicker but give it some time. If you can leave the door open to return them after many sets, that may be a good plan. You may not like it. But then again, you may.

• Baller
I'm one of the Reflex lovers and I'd say change for comfort, confidence, and/or safety concerns but not for performance. I was a 15off guy skiing rather poorly at 28-30mph when I switched and I felt like the change wasn't that difficult. Hard to say how long it took me to get used to it since I wasn't since I wasn't skiing all that consistently at the time but I felt like I picked up on the change fairly quickly...at least within 5-10 sets plus a little open water time.

• Baller
I think bindings are extremely personal and changing time is reflected by that. Personally I went from double T-factor to Reflex and R style. Dropped from 36 to 34 ran every pass but the first ,as I free skied. Better performance at 36 after 4 sets.

• Baller_

Wow, I'm kinda surprised that some of you had such a hard time adjusting to a hardshell. From what I've seen, the transition to a Reflex and rear toe only takes a few sets. Its the folks who try to go to a rear hardshell that takes a lot of getting use to and adjustments. (and some never can use a rear hardshell).

A fifteen-offer (at max speed) is about the right time to make the transition to a hardshell. No, it won't give you more buoys right off the bat, but it will help consistency.

Horton is right, be sure to get the release setting correct. Early releases will cause some rather spectacular crashes, but late releases can be really nasty.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

It took me 6sets to ski consistently and about 15 to reach my previous performance. Now after 6 years on Reflex I would never go back to rubber boots, it force me to ski better, it is much more comfortable and if used correctly much safer.

You also need to know that this is a high maintenance system; you need to rinse it and dry it carefully every time, check nuts and bolts often, check that the boot is not loose and when it is adjust it before skiing. Also ask for the Silvretta 750 waterski release not the older 500. In the 500 the spring rusts easily and brakes, they have improved it with the 750waterski.

The latest short plate that they sell is from size 4 to size 10 (long plate now is only for size 12).

Ask for the "basic" plate, it is made out of G10 material and it is stronger lasts more and costs less than the so called carbon plate witch in my experience will bend on the front as the front horse shoe block stands on the edge of the plate (on size 10).

Good luck!

• Baller

I watched a skier capable of running into 39 1/2 off try Reflex after skiing on HO Animals for 15 years. First set was never able to make a deep water start. 2nd set blew 3 deep water starts before finally getting up and not making a single buoy. Gave up after a couple of sets and went back to animals.

I love my Reflex/RTP now and would never go back. But I had some massive crashes getting used to it.

• Baller
Everyone is different; but...I went from HO Animal (RFF) + RTP to FM E-series + RTP in 2007 and it only took 2 - 3 sets to get comfortable enough to ski aggressively. It probably take a little longer to feel out the nuances of the performance.

• Baller

My first set on the reflex I thought "I made a mistake buying this system". 2nd, 3rd, and 4th set I was running passes and enjoying the superior lateral control over the rubber I used to ski on. By the 5th set I was back to skiing at my normal level. Seven years later, I'm still loving the Reflex.

As indicated by most responses, it takes a little getting used to, but stick with it, you'll be glad you did.

My experience seems to point to need for canting as the determinant of how tough switching from rubber to hard shells will be. If you're bowlegged, and need canting, and don't cant your new hard shell, good luck. Its gonna suck. Took me 13 tries to get up on my reflex first set, couldn't get through the gates. Canted it, next set no issues. Didn't like it though, and went to Stealths. My buddies gave me all kinds of crap, then one of them bought a Reflex the following year. 'Bout drowned getting up, tried two sets, gave up. He's pretty bowlegged also, didn't want to mess with cants.

BTW, anybody wants a brand new Reflex size 12 LFF with two sets on it let me know.

I must admit out of all the bindings I have changed to over the years. Reflex has been my easier change. I only changed the front from a T factor to a reflex and left my sloppy wiley on the back and it didn't take me long at all. Dropped down to 34 and ran basically every pass straight of the belt, so response at 36 as well. I have always found changing my back binding the major change for me in terms of feeling. Wish I had done it years ago however everything is different for everyone so really just gotta try it.

Defiantly watch Andy's video and get it set up right and feel happy with it before you go out.

• Baller_
I adjusted from whatever the D3 slalom binding was at the time to Fogman bindings in about a set, and promptly PBed on them shortly thereafter. I have been on Fogman for 12 years and 12 different skis. Ho Phantom, O'Brien Mapple, Sixam 1.0, F1, F1, Prophecy, Prophecy, Prophecy, Nano One, Mapple 6.0, Prophecy, Prophecy. I wish I could find just one ski that I like better than the others and could stick with...

Lpskier