Quick question - which regional can I ski in?

skiray

I need your expert opinion...

For the past 4 years work has keep us from skiing like we want to. This year, I'm getting it back. We (wife and my girls) are taking a 4 week vacation in her hometown. I'm planning on skiing a lot. Looks like I'm going to get to ski 5 tournaments in June. All in AL.

Only problem is I live in TX and the majority of our skiing prior to Regionals will be in AL. Will we be able to ski in the SC Regionals?

4.03 Regional Tournament Qualifications

A. General: Each Region shall determine the required qualifications for its own Regional Tournament.

1. In any year, a skier shall be qualified to enter only one Regional Tournament for placement. A skier shall ski for placement in the Region where he does more than half of his tournament skiing during the ten weeks prior to the Regional Tournament. A skier has the option to return to his Region of legal residence to ski for placement.

• Baller
I think you can get a waiver to compete in regionals to get credit to ski in Nationals but not place in the region. Two summers ago Chet Raley skied in the Eastern Regionals and he doesn't ski events there. If I remember correctly he was on vacation visiting family and skied the regionals.

@skiray I'd say you'd be able to ski in either region. Since you'll be skiing tournaments mostly on AL you could ski in the Southern region. Rules say you can also opt to ski in your region where you reside.

I'm also on TX and would be happy to see you here!

• Baller_
@skiray I've done this. Twice. Ski 99% South East region. But I've skied in the last two Midwest Regionals. Just need coordinated permission from the EVPs of both regions. The catch is you cannot place when you ski out of region. So I may have taken 4th place but there was no standing on any podium. It was considered just a score in the books but allowed me to ski Nationals. The EVPs of both regions were very helpful and I appreciated what they did for me in terms of allowing me to make the move.

The difference is @Wish is a resident of the Southern region and skis mostly in the Southern region. So skiing in the Midwest is effectively skiing "Out of Region".

@skiray is a resident of the South Central and will be skiing mostly in the Southern region. So skiing in the SC regionals is going back home.

I would recomment a note to each EVP to eliminate any questions but there shouldn't be any issues with skiing in the SC Region. PM me and I'll be happy to give you the contact info for both EVP's if you need it.

• Baller

@skiray, What @klilndy said! As you can see from the responses, the issue is not well understood. It is better to communicate up front so everyone is on the same page. By the way, @klindy is the chief judge for this year's nationals - he knows his stuff.

Would love to see you and your family as the SCR tournament.

• Baller_
Plus one for getting in touch with both EVP's and letting them sort it out. I basically wrote one letter/email and copied to both. Then it became the group emailing back and forth. Within a few emails it was done thanks to them both.