Elbow Issues

ropeworks

Does skiing with an Anti-Roll (ARS) handle and/or a smaller diameter handle alleviate elbow pain? A skier who has been experiencing elbow pain ordered a handle from me and he wants me to string it up in the Anti-Roll System and he went with a smaller diameter, from a 1.00 to a .930, in hopes of eliminating elbow pain.

.94 dia radius handle, clincher or Radar vice gloves (dowl and strap to transfer load to wrist) and #1 thing to do ...... Use a flex bar every day to strengthen muscles around elbow and forearm. Google flex bar, order the black one if you can find it. I've battled elbow issues for last few years and this has finally cured my issues.

I find my elbow pain is related to taking "hits". No hits, the elbows don't bother me in the morning. Anybody else have similar experiences? Thought about changing handle, but then I thought not skiing to the ball would be a better solution, for me anyway.

• Baller_
A small diameter handle is a cause of elbow problems. A wide diameter handle will relieve some elbow stress, but it is harder to hold on to. A radius handle may or may not help. Changing your grip (if left hand was up, put left hand down and vise versa for the right hand), but the transition to the reverse grip can be awkward. I would recommend two things now if you are skiing: first, get up with both hands on top of the handle, and get a green Thera-Band Flexbar and follow the instructions. $18 on Amazon. If you are out of season and not working out (and if that is the case in January, that raises a different discussion all together), and you've tried the other suggestions without success, see your orthopedist regarding PRP Therapy. I had it this fall for a wicked bad elbow that I had been dealing with for about three years. Problem solved, but I was reasonably inactive with my upper body for six weeks.

Lpskier

• Baller
I ordered the radius handle with anti-roll, and dropped from a 1.0" to .93". Wife and I have used radius handles from Brenda or Masterline for years and never had elbow problems. But as we shortened the rope this past season more than ever before, we started taking more hits and both developed tendonitis - hers on the outside (tennis elbow) and mine on the inside (golfers). Had to end our season a month early. I am using a BandIT brace, which looks funny but really helps. Also using a green therabar and doing recommended stretching / therapy - not helping so far. I keep reinjuring the elbow when I forget to wear the brace and lift something heavy. Now I am 2 months from the start of the season and still having pain - getting concerned. Smaller diameter handle might end up being a mistake, but a 38/39.5 off skier that is a friend and neighbor suggested it because it helped him, so we are giving it a try.

• Baller

Anyone having elbow issues should seek out an experienced active release technique practitioner.

Plug your zip code in on the ART website and look for someone that has is experienced in golfer and tennis elbow. It got me back on the water and also helped my friend with his shoulder impingement that had him on the dock.

http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp

• Baller
@MS is right on the money with that comment. I had terrible elbow issues several years ago and a workout regimen that is laden with pull-ups combined with a bent handle and an overhand grip for deep water starts, has completely eliminated the issue for me. Don't get me wrong, I still feel slack hits and try to mitigate them as much as possible.

• Baller
and if all of the above doesn't get it done, see the comments on ART. I did all the other stuff, including demi-patch therapy (anti inflammatory being injected with electric stimulus), ASTYM therapy, which helped me get 50% better. The ART got it done. Try this before you get cut open!