Hawaii - Oahu - Slalom Course

BrettAndrews

I have researched "Wakescout" and have identified two locations on the island of Oahu that have a slalom course - has anyone actually skied at these sites and can offer an opinion on what they are like, best time of the day to go, distance from Waikiki etc. I'm just wanting to know if it is worth taking my ski - thx

• Baller

Sand Island near the airport is one site. Not bad in the morning before the marina traffic and wind start. You need to hook up with a local as the buoys are not always in. Also I'm not sure you can get there without a boat. The site is busy with a lot of wakeboarders. But I have had lots of good rides there.

Hawaii Kai also has a course. I tricked there but didn't slalom. I went early and it was OK. But the wind blew things out pretty early. There may have been tidal issues as well with the course but I don't remember.

All my Hawaiian skiing was a long time ago. Check with Jeff and Christy Long. They are great people - I think they are still there.

Set something up and take your ski. You'll have fun.

Eric

• Baller

Lived in Hawaii Kai and had the Slalom Course right in front of my house...It was great up till 10 AM, then the trade winds would pick up.....Sand Island is great, but you do have to put the buoys in..Water is clear and the sub-buoys are obvious...It is sheltered from wind fairly well, but not Walley's on Wave Runners...Best bet is mornings, and the Club Members out there are great people..Had some really fun tournaments there.

Eventually moved to Kauai and had a Slalom Course on the Wailua River..I don't believe anyone maintained it after I left there though.