When purchasing a new boat "Who" is the biggest factor

Horton

• Administrators

@sunperch & @lcarnes sorry ladies I was not trying to be sexist. Lord knows I love the lady Ballers.

The point I was going to try to make was that us guy Ballers might think long and hard about what boat is best for our ladies. We will see how the poll goes before I present my thesis

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_
My vote is not really a 100% match to my situation. While I am required to have an open bow for my wife/kids, I also require good slalom wakes. The open bow is their only request and only area of influence. The boat's colors, performance, wake, and options/features are my call. We started with a 2000 MasterCraft 205 (based on the 1995-1997 190 hull). It was satisfactory, but not the best slalom wake at 22 off. Later, my goal was to get Zero Off. So, I needed to make a change and still retain the open bow. I ended up downsizing a bit to my 2009 Malibu Response LX, but met the family needs. The performance and wake were an upgrade for me and it also provides a better experience for longer line/slower speed skiers than the 205. I compromised the space and some freeboard, but not much else. I did get the Wedge option, in the event I have to satisfy the requirements of a future wakeboarder. Everyone is happy.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Must be a family boat to gain access to the family checkbook. Must have a great wake for everyone or I'm not interested. My solution was a Mastercraft Prostar 205 purchased new in 1994 which we still have at the vacation lake house plus a Malibu 2007 Response LXI upgraded with ZO at the tournament lake.

• Baller
I would say the qualifier for me is I want an open bow for when we have company or hang out on the water and I want a good trick wake. I don't have an issue with the current 197 wake and neither does my son and we are the primary skiers in the house.

• Administrators

As sometimes happens my original idea for this thread is nothing like the way it turned out.

My thinking is that I am pretty happy skiing behind just about any high end boat. If I had to ski behind a 90s MasterCraft or Nautique it would not be the end of the world. I could spend as little as $10K and have a boat that would work. It would not be perfect but it would not prevent me from skiing. Lack of ZO would really be the only bummer and that is not as big of a deal as it was 5 years ago.

My wife on the other hand is not going to ski unless the wakes are tiny. Getting a Centurion is more about making Gallagher happy than anything. I think getting the wife or girlfriend or kids to ski means we get to ski more. That is why I needed a boat like the CarbonPro.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Recently became a co-owner (with my brother) of a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter LXi with PP and wedge and tower. Wakeboard, slalom (in our family we've got everything from 26mph/-15 up to 34mph/-35), trick, barefoot, even take our lame guests tubing. So @Horton while that's different from getting teeny tiny wakes off of Carbon Pro, the sentiment is the same:

getting the wife or girlfriend or kids to ski means we get to ski more

That is what the Sunsetter LXi does for me.

I spent part of the 80s slaloming behind a 79 nautique, and still to this day freeski behind a 79 mastercraft. Every DD built since the mid90s has felt like luxury to slalom behind, even the ones some people on this forum rail against.

How does all of this work when your wife is a divorce attorney and could give 2 craps if you get a killer wake or not??? The only way it works for me is to get the kids involved who are 2 and 5. The 5 year old has been behind the boat and loved it, so this year it's time to get her behind the boat more.

@Horton I could not agree more. There is a local ski club 2012 TXI for a great deal here that I would love to grab, but......alas......the divorce attorney doesn't want to drop that much cash and refuses a finance. I partially agree with the finance issue.....but.....the skier in me says "hell with it....drop the cash!"

• Baller

AND I am a slalom skier, I am the Man, it is all about me (and still getting some). I need the best wake and pull I can afford.

When the wife/driver skied behind the 200 it was "OK, you can get one" (code for "I want it bad too"). Guy on our lake just got a new ProStar. She keeps asking me when I'm going to ski it (to find out if it has a better wake) Hmmmm