Working on New Bindings

A_B

• Baller

Never snow skied but supposed to go with my daughter tomorrow. Working on snow ski binders is very foreign and taking much longer than I can setup a waterski.

Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks?

738ba32bfcb47e98e52d1ed199f40d.jpg

• Baller
Just be careful, three variables to set up on each ski (front and back springs and back boot pressure). Also, if you have never skied, be aware that bindings tend to release very well in hard/fast fall but not thst well in slow/mild falls. So my advice would be set them up as if you were lighter...

• Baller

@ral - that is not good advice. The din charts should be followed, an early release can be as dangerous as a late release.

@AB - make sure that you understood how to set the position properly for the boot sole length, if you messed that up then they may not release at all.

I've done my own bindings for about 30 years. I'm typically not one to discourage folks from DIY, but if you have even the slightest doubt about your work make sure to have the bindings checked by a qualified tech. I've seen even experienced racers DIY and really muff up the job.

• Baller
I would highly recommend having a qualified tech adjust the bindings. The din settings should be much lighter for a beginner than an experienced skier. A never-ever skier should be able to almost walk out of the bindings. As @ral mentions, beginning skiers can find themselves in a multitude of low energy, awkward position, slow twisting falls, which is a recipe for knee injuries. Have fun, but be careful.

• Baller

Had a blast. Should have tried this 40 years ago! The kids let me have 4 trips on the bunny hill and then they said let's go! Alpine Valley in Michigan is a bunny hill for you Utah skiers, but plenty fast for this old dog. Going to feel the quads tomorrow for sure. Went from 9:30am to 4:30 pm with an hour lunch break. At the end, my legs were feeling like the first slalom rounds of the year.

Didn't do anything to crazy but kept up with the youngsters in sight for the most part. Even caught a little air on a couple hills I rode over the edges on. That was a rush. I'm sure was a matter of inches, but 260lbs in the air is a big deal to me! Went down the Black hill once, and thought that was just a little on the edge for me at this point. 53d4bfbfae1bf7cf40c4e8ab7612c1.jpg

• Baller

In retrospect, I am really glad I went instead of blowing it off as too cold, too old, too risky, etc.

I guess if you "live like we are dying" (Tim McGraw), we would have more fun. Not sure about bull riding though! I rode up the ski lift with a guy who was 64, and a lot worse shape than me, and he had a season pass, so he was out there getting it done, no reason I can't.