January Ski Ride Role Call

Horton

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
First ski of the year today, have had almost two weeks off. Water is warm, weather is hot. Happy to run within a few balls of my practice PB considering what I'm carrying around my middle after Christmas... Back to working on stuff...

• Baller

We had a group of about 12 in N Alabama go for a ski yesterday (Air 44, Water 46). Mostly everyone did a victory lap around the lake then headed straight for the hot tub. Since I was warm and cozy in my dry suit, I chose to take a normal slalom set (6 passes), tournament style, on jumpers and ended up setting a new jumper-slalom pb of 4.5 @ 28mph LL. It was great fun until it was time for me to take the skis off and try to walk to the hot tub. Talk about walking with club foot...

• Baller
I played with the Kevin Day of the Missouri Disabled Water Ski Association and the Alton Water Ski Club on the Mississippi River under the Arch (St. Louis) on New Years Day. A pleasant 48 degree day, 40 degree water, and smooth conditions on the Mississippi River encouraged approximately 15 skiers to perform. Pyramids, doubles, barefooters, wakeboarders, kneeboarders, and trickers made the event into a regular "ski show!" And now....I'm out the door to "shovel out" the driveway!

• Baller_
@Sully. I had a feeling I would get a little flack like that. ;) Ok, I retract my former complaint and put it into the "it was moderately annoying" pile. Having to skip a day with Andy anyway ya slice it kinda sucks though.

• Baller
We had a nice turn out on NYD. 10 of us at Old Hickory Lake. Air 50ish and sunny. 10 mph wind right down the pipe, but ok. Water 46 and a little brisk. I realize that 2 months off is rough on a 60 year old. 2 passes, 28 & 32, in the boat for a frosty one. Advil is a required substance. I just can't take a 2 month break anymore. BUT, 4 degrees this Monday and all of this winter stuff is getting in the way. Maybe Horton needs help digging on the lake!

• Baller
@klindy Breaking my 100 degree rule and skiing a full set after almost 2.5 months off must mean I'm pretty hard headed anyway. I am in the same boat with @Ham_Wallace and my 10 day forecast shows it will not be above freezing or not raining/snowing for the entirety of the forecast, so a re-ride for this weekend is not going to be a possibility. I don't want to be responsible for the outcome of an icy boat ramp. :)

• Baller_
It has been a stellar Nov Dec. Have a pinched nerve in my neck. Took a muscle relaxent way to late last night and it was not worn off by this mornings set. So anything past 32 off was fine by me. Come to think of it, that may have contributed to getting into 38.

• Baller

Just got home from Christmas with the family and wanted to go skiing today.........didn't happen. Harsh solid west winds, cold rain, and just purely miserable day today!

Looks like -2 tonight so off to put the trouble light into the engine box for the night!

• Baller_

@horton - and BTW, it "roll" call

roll call

roll call

noun

the calling of a list of names, as of soldiers or students, for checking attendance.

a military signal for this, as one given by a drum.

a voting process, especially in the U.S. Congress, in which legislators are called on by name and allowed either to cast their vote or to abstain.

• Baller
@MS "Ya, dat dare cold front came on down from da nort dare." I grew up in Richfield, MN - played hockey outside and slalom raced at Buckhill in those temps. In college, we used to have contests for who could start their cars between classes. Glad I am now residing in Western Washington. Dont miss that cold. But I will be visiting this month and will be catching a Wild game.