Tilt Steering Up and Down Play?

JC McCavit

• Baller
Is there a fix to remove the up and down play in the Nautique tilt steering helm? I drove a Nautique 200 last year that did not have the play, all other Nautiques I have driven from 97 - 2008 have the up down play. While trying to diagnose the problem, I noticed the the steering shaft has a minimal amount of movement within the shaft housing. I am trying to decide whether I should buy a new helm for a 200 or take it to a machine shop and see if there is anything they can do. The boat is a 1997 Ski Nautique.

• Baller
Thanks@thager - I have a new cable, rack and pinion gear and tunable rudder. My rudder is loaded perfectly. I have zero play or drift left or right when driving in the course or otherwise. My problem is with the tilt mechanism itself. The problem is directly related to the aluminum housing that holds the steering shaft that the steering wheel is connected to. If you push straight forward on the steering wheel or pull straight back, the wheel moves about a millimeter up and down or in the same direction a tilting the wheel up or tilting the wheel down.

• Baller_
Best course of action is to replace it. The newer units are more robust and are built to tighter tolerances. Trying to repair or improve the old one is not worth the time or effort, Believe me I went down that road. I scrap 4 or 5 every year from customers boats. 15 min to change it out vs ?????