Jeff Rogers eye patch theory

Horton

• Administrators
Anybody know what this is all about? I heard that Jeff is having skiers train with an eye patch over one eye. I saw a friend wear one yesterday. I can't explain but but his skiing as come a long way.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_
Speaking of Jeff, I just got facebook post with a photo of him and his wife at a black tie event of some sort. From the looks of the photo, there's no way I'd cover one eye if she was around. I'd want both eyes fully functional. Jeff is a lucky guy! Sorry, not meaning to steal thread or anything. Never heard of eye patch. Bet @John Cox might know something...

• Baller
Ed Neill has coached one of my ski buddies to close both eyes at the hook up off the ball and not open them until he feels the second wake. My buddy swears it worked for him and says he feels like he gets wider when he does it. Not sure how the one eye thing works.

• Baller

Yes – well known training technique here at Victory. Patch the outside eye (i.e., leading eye – eye furthest from the boat, not trailing eye) rotate patch with free hand at each reach to contralateral eye at each buoy to keep leading eye blind. It helps to exhale each time with a rebel yell embellished with Arrrr!!!

snow-middle-finger-SNOW.gif

• Baller
Guys, I went blind in my left eye two years a go and skied a long time with an eye patch...It restricted my peripheal vision and also took longer to focus..I finally just ended up keeping the left eye closed to keep the water out while skiing...It really hurt my skiing at 38 and shorter, where everything is happening much quicker.

• Baller
While I'd love to be coached by Jeff Rodgers, I'm not sure about preventing my brain from receiving depth-perception & positional data while trying to navigate an obstacle course at high speed with complex vector-velocity relationships. Pretty sure the two-eyes thing is a good design idea.

• Baller
only have vision in one eye, been like that for a long time so i dont really notice it. The late and great Brett Yeager said he wanted to see what it was like and went out and skied with one eye covered, came back and said i cant use that as an excuse because he did not notice it when skiing, he ran 38!

• Baller_
I ski with shades or clear eye wear. In late fall/winter (FL) if I don't clean them well they will fog. I have, at times, cleaned one lens and not the other (distracted). Instant fog over one eye once I'm in the water. Can see nothing out of that lens especially if it's a cloudy day. All I experience is frustration. Never a... hmmm, this would make a great training tool.

If I remember I think it was the Larson twins who used to do trick drills with both eyes closed. Wake backs, wake fronts, even wake back to backs. If I recall the theory was to be able to "feel" the wake and better "know" where your ski and body position was all the time.

I don't know how frequent they would do this nor do I recall if they felt it was successful. Might be some similar theory to one eye slalom.

• Baller

There have been some successful water skiers with just one working eye. Robi Zucchi (ITA) won SL in the 1975 Worlds and was 3rd in 1979. Dave Reinhart, Hall of Famer, lost an eye in a construction accident. Still was a top show skier, barefooter, and particularly freestyle jumper. The freestyle involved tricks like Front Mobius on 2 and 1 ski, and maneuvers like back landings on 1 ski after significant distance. Amazing stuff.

Notable is that the WSDA does not count 1-eyed vision as one of their disabilities.

• Baller

Note that the correct spelling of his name is "Rodgers". Born 1967, and now in M4 and 45+ on World Rankings. Could be a favorite for the Senior (aka 35+) Worlds next October in the US. But, he will be facing strong competition from some Big Dawgs, including Andy Mapple.

Looking him up on AWSA Rankings, he is even skiing in Men4 JUMPING! Almost think that has to be a misprint, but he has apparently gone 118 ft. in the SC State Championships.

• Baller

I skied with Jeff a bunch this year, and there was never any discussion about putting a patch on one eye, or closing one eye. That sounds like an internet rumor....

And, @EdBrazil, you are correct, it is Rodgers, and yes, he did jump at the SC State Championships. It was at his site, and he got talked in to it......

• Baller

My ski partner @MikeT has to cover most of the field of view of one eye because be has double vision in a certain area if things are moving quickly. He is able to keep the peripheral vision available though, which seems to be important. My kids dubbed him Mad Eye Mike one day, a reference to the Harry Potter character Mad Eye Moody.

It doesnt hurt his skiing much, but doing it just for training doesn't seem to make sense.