Anyone ride a Motorcycle?

rodltg2

• Baller

On a whim I decided to buy this 2014 HD Iron 833. It's been great at helping me forget about skiing during the off season. I only have about 250 miles experience on it so far, but really enjoying it. Have very little to no experience riding a bike prior to this purchase. My Nautique now has a roommate!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/u6y6uqe6_zps742124ff.jpg

• Baller

I used to ride and still get my motorcycle endorsement renewed, just in case....

I have a restored a 1978 Honda XR75 that I did for my son when he was little, and bomb around the neighborhood on it for fun. I grew up with mini bikes, go carts, Honda 50's, 70's, and 125's, then CB450 and 750.

Nice bike.. I love Iron 883s.. Riding a bike is a perishable skill so please take some courses and practice, practice, and practice some more. Here's my current bike...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc258/labcab/Bikes/DSC_0281.jpg

• Baller

@oldjeep I'm in Northern Ca. Could ski year round but our lake closes Nov-1st and Opens March 1st. Not a fan of cold water and dry suits anyway. 4 months off is not bad.

@mwg I am going to take the class. Planning after the holiday. I'm trying to ride a bit everyday. I feel fairly comfortable for lo

• Baller
having worked with many a former motor cycle rider and being a rider myself i can definitively say it will not be your skill level as a rider that saves you or gets you crunched. it will be the inattention of someone in a car who turns across your lane at the last minute or t-bones you at an intersection or pulls out of a driveway when your going 65 mph and are 10 feet away or any of a hundred similar blunders. Theyll get a ticket and you get hurt or killed and the only chance you have of not going thru such a tragedy is to always always always remember that you are invisible to them and they are not aware of or looking for you at all.

• Baller

Started road racing at 17 continued till 29, worked, then started racing again 48 until last year. Rode on the street most of the time. Current street bike Ducati 1198, race bike TZ125. There are similarities between road racing and slalom, but bikes don't float too well.

• Baller

Nice looking bike. You won't regret getting something with the matte paint and the mag wheels. Something to ride and not go crazy trying to keep it looking good.

Be extremely careful if that really is your first ride. Anything that goes 90 in two blocks and weighs 548 lbs. dry is a lot of bike to start out on, regardless of what the dealership said.

My new 2013 Honda CB500X. Got about 680 miles on it before the salt hit the pavement. Came close to buying a Moto Guzzi V7 Stone but in the end I went with this new model that Honda had come out with. Absolutely love it. It was a brand new engine for the European A2 license restriction of 48 horsepower and all I can say is Honda caught everyone else with their pants down, especially for the money.

8992df93c36b20faa15d3f0bf01b2a.jpg

And my 2009 Yamaha 250 V-Star. 10,000 miles without a single problem and looks 99% new. Never dropped, damaged, or abused. Still haven't decided if I'm putting it on the auction block or if I'm going to keep it. The fuel system is totally drained and pickled and it's in dry heated storage, all cleaned up.

b9b84650b773b9ee97d000c7845e46.jpg

• Baller_

Don't be this guy. On a serious note, there was a fatal motorcycle accident in our very small town on the main drag when a teenage girl pulled out of McDonalds right in front of a rider. Speed was under 50 mph, so don't think speed is the key factor or you are the key factor, as noted above, the inattentive other driver in their "cocoon" is the big concern.

Since you are inexperienced, you might surf and find some excellent riding schools that will teach skills well beyond the basics, BMW has one among many in the country.

• Baller
My dad was on his Harley Electra Glide (BIG BIKE), with light on, and a lady pulled out in front of him. He was going about 35 mph and was tossed over the car. Survived but had a hundred stitches on the inside of his legs, and left with a crooked finger for life. She claims she never saw him. Hard not to see a half of an elephant with a light on coming at you.

• Baller

Times whatever for taking the MSF beginners course. I rode dirt bikes prior so most of it boring as it focused on basics...but I picked up some good stuff for pavement.

If I had my way EVERYONE who wanted to ride a street bike would be required to spend at least a year on dirt. When I hit a deer just weeks after getting my street endorsement I have ZERO doubt that all my crashes on dirt led to my first crash on pavement going as well as a crash can. Dirt is much more forgiving and trust me you will learn how to crash on it. Nothing like going 65ish and seeing a deer in the other lane, quick calculations said my best chance was to hit the binders....worked great until the deer decided to jump into my lane.

Let me tell ya sliding down the highway at 50 or so isn't a fun time. Just remember no matter what others wear, etc, ATGATT, all the gear all the time. Dress for the crash so when it happens you come out as best as possible. Oh and pick your hands up when you go down!

Guess now I should list my bikes. 2003 YZ125 for the woods and a 1986 Yamaha Fazer on the street. Tests the knowledge of bike guys when I mention that one. I will try and find a picture to post. LOVE that bike, only downfall is that the back isn't very nice for the wife to ride on.

• Baller

@rodltg2,

Congratulations on the new bike! Find a good motorcycle safety course and be careful on the road. The scariest things on the road are other drivers, they seem to forget that motorcycles exist (and they do so very often).

I road for years, but gave up my motorcycle this year. I just had one too many close calls. The last one came when a mom in a minivan pulled out of a parking lot directly in front of me as I was going about 45mph. I managed to avoid her, but my shoulder clipped her sideview mirror as I swerved into the oncoming traffic lane. She didn't even know I was there until I hit the mirror. I was just lucky there was no oncoming traffic and I wasn't injured by the impact.

Riding is great fun and I would never discourage anyone from enjoying it, but watch your ass! There will always be stupid drivers out there.

Here's my last bike right before I sold it:

3f0a7f49baae0014b8be904474b67d.jpg

• Baller

Part of the problem nowadays with people pulling out in front of bikes is that the newer vehicles all have HUGE blind spots due to the windshield frame being further forward and all of the window posts being so wide. I've actually not seen CARS at intersections because of it. Add to that the fact that nearly everyone is preoccupied with smart phones, iPods, and bellowing kids, and you just plain have to pretend they don't see you.

Years back I read a great safety tip in a car magazine. It was actually discussing NHRA 1/4 mile drag racing and the importance of safety gear, but it applies to all motorized sports: "Remember, it can, and probably will, happen to you at some point during your career. Think about it."

• Baller

Raced motocross a bit as a kid. 125cc. Really miss riding off road. Had a couple of street bikes years ago, but have been out of it for a long time.

Would love to ride the dirt again, but will never ride on the road. About 2 years ago I was one of the first on the scene of a motorcycle vs. pickup accident. Wasn't the rider's fault. A truck cut him off. I crawled under the pickup with him and basically watched him die.

I know anything can happen to anybody, but I have a family that needs me around. Certain things I will have to take a pass on. (Sorry to be a downer. But the experience shook me.)

• Baller

Whoa @jlittle when did you get a snow bike kit? Is that a timber sled setup?

I have plenty of MN buds who put ice tires on the bikes come winter but I can't give up the sled yet....but I could if I somehow convinced the wife I needed a bike track.

• Baller
@xrated nah, it's a buddy's bike. His sled, which he doesn't ride anymore, is a stage II SC Yamaha Nytro with a 174 etc etc. He likes riding the mountain horse that much better. The MH kits for bikes are truly amazing. Even without the turbo they will go places you cannot take a sled.

• Baller

@GregDavis, most guys are running those kits on 450s if they go the 4 stroke route. The 250 just doesn't have the umph to spin the track in deep snow.

Some guys have had good succes running them on 300 2 strokes. @jlittle should know of a guy who is running one on a CR 500.

• Baller

@skibrain, my friend had the original silver one and it always beat my CT70, so I know your pain.

I picked this one up for $400 and cleaned it up a little, no major restoration work, as it is a rider not a showpiece. Would love to find my old blue metallic trail 70 somewhere, or my SL125 just for nostalgia.