Achilles pain in rear foot (stressed from bent ankles knees)

cragginshred

• Baller

The last 2 months of the past summer I began really getting on the front foot with flexed knees and ankles. this began to stretch my soleus (muscle under calf) resulting on a sore achilles that persists. Has anyone had this and tried a heel lift or just allowed the rear heel to come up more in the boot?

• Baller

Spend time stretching, the calf, rolling the calf on a roller or with one of the sticks and rolling under the sole of the foot up under the heel on a golf ball. All of this will help relieve the issues with the achillies.

I do agree with @ShaneH and @ral that unless you have tremendous flexibility issues this shouldn't be a problem. I am stiff as a board and don't get achillies problems from skiing.

• Baller

@Chef23 the the origin of the soleus muscle is below the knee thus when the knee is flexed the soleus is being stretch not the gastroc (calf). The mechanism of injury is clear to me (a physio) -a prolonged stretch on the musculature takes it to it's tissue to max tolerance/threshold The result is stress occurs to the anchor point- the tendon/achilles. Tendons by design do not stretch and when they are stressed they get irritated hence the 'ittis'. Same exact thing with the elbows.

So I agree with the gentle stretching to both the gatroc and the soleus along with sub taylor joint mobilizations.

My question for this thread was 'has anyone used a heel lift to compensate for the prolonged flexed knee/ankle position of a rear foot? I will look for Horton's article on the rear foot. A huge issue for me this past year was finishing the turn with a straight rear leg and the ski wants to wheelie, so agreed it makes no sense, but I will check it out and watch some of his videos!

Don

• Baller
Just as I suspected. You need to straighten the back leg and grow about 4-5 inches taller on your ski. It's putting your butt back, your shoulders forward, causing you to drive your knees far more forward than they need to be, and putting more pressure on your rear foot. Try and think about squeezing your butt checks together.

• Baller

I agree with Shaneh but I wonder if it could have something to do with boot spacing. I spread mine out some a couple of years ago and my hole rear leg from hip to calf started hurting. I use open toe boots and have my toes touching the rear of my front but, that's what works for me (but I do wear size 13 shoes also).

To expand on what Shane is saying. Think about how much more effort it takes to stand in a half seated position vs standing tall (stacked). As a PT I think this will make sense to you. You can stand tall and straight all day but try standing bent over with your knees bent and you'll be tired in minutes. When your bent over and get in a that semi-seated position there is just a lot more stress and strain put on the body.