The Tempature Baller Index

Horton

• Administrators

I have a lot of real work to do today so instead of doing it I am working on this random silliness.

Below is a chart for the "Baller Index".

Here is how it works.

If the perfect day is 80 degree F water & 80 degree F air (a total of 160) then the Baller Index = 100

We all know that 50 degree F air and 50 degree F water (a total of 100) is the limit of insanity so it has a Baller Index of 0

fcca2acdc2c5e91f8ec0ea9fa44e58.jpg

I included C for the rest of the planet. I think It is correct.

If we can all use B we no longer have to be confused by C and F

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton You may have to do a slight adjustment to your table.

80 degF = 26.7 degC so 100 B should be 53.4 degC The problem is with F to C conversion, it's not a set formula. If we (Down Under) had 80F / 27C water, we would then have a air temp of freak'n hot 111F / 44C to reach 100B.

Good luck trying to figure the entire table though :).

• Baller

@Horton If 160 (80+80) is ideal then shouldn't that be 0? So the larger then absolute number the larger the "crazy" factor? I would submit that your 210 (105+105) is crazier than your 0 (50+50).

Having skied about 188 a bit this year I had issues with equipment being soft, water just freaky, and cooling down after the set.

Having done a lot of 0 and -16ish over the years, a good drysuit, F&R hardshells (put hot water in the liners, good for a set), enclosed bimini, 4 outlet heaters w/3 snorkles, hot tub its actually pretty good. Skis don't ski the same though. Beer & Rum afterword not too bad either.

• Baller
@Horton, writing an equation for that would be interesting because for Baller values less than 100 B increases by 16.66666... for every 10 degree increase in F and for Baller values greater than 100 B increases by 12.5 for every 10 degree increase in F. Also I believe that all of us Northern Midwest skiers qualify as insane if since plenty of us have skied 40 degree air and 33 degree water.

• Administrators

@RazorRoss3 Aaaahhhh crap.

Yes that is an error. Should be 16.666666 increase per 10 F above 100 BI not 12.5.

12.5 was the increment in the first version that had 180F = 100 BI

I will fix that later.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@horton -i think those guys at broho ski in similar conditions. if the water is still liquid and your dressed for cold air then why not? altho some of the stories they tell about coping with the cold would curl your hair like breaking out thin layers of ice in the course and keeping an ice chest of hot water in the boat to warm hands between passes and stuff like that

• Baller

@Horton, with the corrected chart I believe it should be B = (5/3)*(F-100). That creates a ratio of 16.66666 B for every 10 F and matches the chart as far as I can tell. For an equation using Celsius I believe you would just have to apply whatever the Fahrenheit to Celsius equation is to the F value and the 100 and that should give you a C to B equation.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen B's below -30 a few times.

• Baller

@Horton Your conversion of 160F to 71.1C is correct. The problem is 80F (individually water or air)= 26.7C x 2 (each water and air) = 53.4C

This is why it wont be an easy conversion table to convert imperial to metric.

Metric is easy 0 degC = Frozen water, 100 degC = Boiling water.

Someone with a lot more time and desire than me, may be able to work it out.

• Baller
I got down to 120F several times this year, once with a drysuit, several times with a wetsuit, and once bare. The wetsuit definitely takes the bite out of the chill after a run through the course and was a great improvement, but the thought of initially hitting the water still saps a lot of the fun for me. If only drysuits were easier to wear! The one time I wore it I was nice and toasty. However, I almost went bald and nearly twisted an ankle getting the thing on and then I nearly choked to death as I skied. Wish I lived in Florida.

• Baller
For me I hang it up with a BI of around 33. In the fall I like to not dip much below 60* air and 55* water. In the spring I am a little more excited to ski and if it isn't windy I will get closer to the 50* 50* mark if there is no good weather in the immediate future.

• Baller
The problem with BI is that it is a multi variable equation where in Fahrenheit it is (air temp + water temp - 100) * (5/3). Because of the two variables there are multiple values of air and water temp that produce the same BI. I think that while a skier with air 70 water 40 and a skier with air and water 55 would have different opinions on how the weather was even though they both had the same BI. I don't want to scare anyone but I don't think we're using highschool algebra anymore.

• Baller

When snow skiing in BC Canada temps of course are in Celcius. An easy in the head conversion goes like this....using 25C as an example...

25 x 2 equals 50. Reduce the absolute value of +50 by 10 percent. That is easily 45. Add 32 and you have 77 F.

Easy to do in your head vs C x 9/5 + 32 = F.

And I don't worry about fractions, I just wanna know how many layers to wear when the mountain report says minus 10 C (14 F).

For minus C temps you have to be to reduce the absolute value of the first step.

-10 C x 2 = -20. Reduce the abs value of -20 by 10% is easily -18. Add 32 and you have + 14 F.

Can do the conversions all day easily in your head until the beers start flowing.

Another post used 1.8 in the conversion instead of 9/5th, but I cannot multiply 25 by 1.8 in my head but I can do 25 dbls to 50 becomes 45, add 32 is 77F in a Nano XT second.