Binding Spacing

MattP

• Baller

Yesterday I moved my front binding forward a hole and my offside has come back to life. Easy turns with the ski tip staying down. No chicken wing or wheelies. Much smoother pull and a lot easier on the body. 

• Baller

100%, when my rear moves too far forward both sides can stall the finish. Sometimes it’s only onside, sometimes off. Happens on pretty much every ski I ride. My binding adjustments are made “separately” & spacing generally different ski to ski. Both bindings are ridden as far forward as possible without slowing either sides finish. 

• Baller

I have always skied best with my feet spaced closer together on my Radar Vapor sz. 11 boots. Related, but not discussed here is allowing the rear heel of a double boot setup to move some vertically. If I overtighten my rear boot  too much my heel is locked down and my offside turns suffer. Loosened up are butter! Anyone else noticed this?

• Like 4

• Baller

@thager - yup. As I am in double  Vapor boots I don’t tighten down my back foot very much. Only enough to keep it connected. Offside turns have been better than ever. Now if I can just consistently do what I want. . .

• Baller

@thager Boa tight on both front and back and top bungee just snug. I used to go through top bungees once a month. Then I ruptured my Achilles. I think the top bungee being tight makes the ski way too responsive and not as forgiving. 
In Florida we use to do a Ski with the Legends weekend where Pros and X Pros would come and coach. You could pick your Legend. I usually made sure I was a boat driver to listen to all the tips. When Kris LaPoint was in the boat and the skier had hard shells usually by the second pass he would ask the skier if they could loosen the top buckle a couple clicks. The results were amazing.

On YouTube there is an excellent video with Andy Mapple explaining the tightness of the buckles on a Reflex binding and the reasoning behind it. 

• Like 2

• Baller
On 7/25/2024 at 11:19 PM, S1Pitts said:

Someone needs to come up with a micro adjust for the back plate too.

Just install one?  They'll fit on rear bindings just use the rear holes of the plate behind the boot where its not angled inwards so much