Boat Wraps Installation Experience

Murrski

• Baller
T-Whisper is designing a really cool boat wrap for my 2000 MB-190. Curious if anyone has Vinyl boat wrap experience and care to share any do's and don'ts! From the YouTube videos I've watched - I'm tempted to install myself to cut down on costs. Currently the boat wrap design will just go from the rub rail down to the bottom edge but we are tempted to do the bow and top rails too. Appreciate any feedback! 90a83b5576466b358ba50d1807a41d.jpeg

• Baller
Although I've never wrapped a boat, we wrapped our race cars numerous times. Do NOT be tempted to try it yourself. It's not hard. But the first couple of times you do it, it will either look like crap or you'll waste $1500 worth of material. It's somewhat of an art to be able to look down a panel and imagine the compound curve and how you can work the material. I would only do rub rail down. That compound curve at the bow where it turns from the windshield to the bow light while at the same time rolling down to the rub rail will give you fits. I've yet to see a boat with the top deck done where that area looked ok to me.

• Baller

Thanks @ShaneH - I'd like to have a pro install shop do the work but the decision will be cost based. Terry has quite a bit of experience applying wraps but on smaller scales. But he has done difficult contours like motorcycle helmets and easier applications like slalom skis. Making sure the seams line up perfectly and the edges are securely taped is my big concern. I'm also worried about the boat rubbing on dock bumpers when we are at our lake site. Wondering if folks with wraps have had any problems with abrasions, color fade, etc.

@Dirt - I did contact Robbie last year and found out the company that wraps their CPs each season. They are based out of Lodi and I'll definitely be in touch with them when the design is near complete.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Baller

The dealer I purchased my boat from had a few wrapped boats (from wake boats to tournament tugs). They usually wrapped from the rub rail down to the waterline or below all the way around including the keel. On the keel it usually was torn up from the trailer bow stop by loading and unloading the boat. Outside of that they held up pretty good.

I would also say get a professional to apply it. Big sheets like that are not for the first timer.

• Baller

@murrski doing this yourself is risky. I am a signwriter (in oz) and we do quite a bit of this work. The reason they are expensive to do is the vinyl and laminate are very costly, as is the skilled labour required to design it, print it and apply it.

I would happily design and print for anybody, but don't look at me if you have warranty issues you want sorted out after the application by somebody unfamiliar with this kind of work. Supply only is expensive enough, risking that cost on a dodgy install is not worth it IMO.

Also we would only warranty a wrap for 3 years or so. They are not paint, nor are they gelcoat, therefore sunfade can be an issue as much as rubbing and scratching even taking into account topgrade UV laminate.

I understand cost is paramount for most, but if you want a Nautique 200 or new Prostar, you gotta pay for it. Same with good quality wraps.

• Baller
@Murrski, that looks awesome! Is that your design or all Terry? It makes it look like a newer boat! Post pics when your done. I'm restoring my Malibu right now. I'll be buffing out the paint but was thing about wrapping just to give it a different look. I have a buddy that does vinyl for a living. He wrapped his boat a few years back, it looked pretty cool! After one season you could see some wear though. I'm not sure that's a fair assessment though as he's pretty rough on his equipment!

• Baller

I don't typically like to discourage anyone from attempting something themselves unless I can lend a helping hand. I do think that if you decide to do it yourself, you need to be extremely prepared with lots of patient helping hands. If you can find a friend who has some experience with large decals, bribe them. Heck, go on ebay or walmart and pay $25-$50 for the biggest decal you can find and put it on a big glass door as a test bed and scrape it off. Think of it as practice if you have to.

I installed dragons on my boat when I painted it 3 years ago. Compared to an entire boat wrap they were a meager 15"x70". I sprayed the crap out of them and the boat with soapy water and it worked but an extra hand or two would've made a world of difference. The negative incline of the side of a boat makes things difficult too and there were a couple moments when I thought everything was lost but salvaged it and it's still on 3 years later without the slightest problem. Definitely choose a day without wind if you can't do it inside a garage and don't get impatient.

That design looks killer. Terry did a ski wrap for my daughter. It came out really nice. The ski is too small now, but she still won't let me sell it. At least she has a baby sister that will get some use out of it in comming years. The guy really has talent.

• Baller

She goes into the shop tomorrow to get her new enhancements... looking forward to the new look. The transom image on the back will be centered -- in case you're wondering, "what the..."

Before:

src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5017617/uploads/FileUpload/2c/f9d4c118be3cd8a4c1111a7ff896cc.jpg" />

After:

1544450e2ce5a18f6b5a0a22e34e48.jpg

• Baller

I tried to upload pics but I think the file sizes might be too large so here's a link to my facebook album where I uploaded 8 photos. If you have any problems accessing please let me know.

https://www.facebook.com/brian.murray.7583992/media_set?set=a.524016577710895.1073741826.100003076719871&type=3

Big thanks to @TWhisper for an incredible design, Chris and family @ GaltSigns for professional print and installation. Also thanks to @Waterskigirl for recommending GaltSigns. It looks like a brand new boat and I couldn't be happier with the results! Do the Ballers like it?

• Baller

A great weekend in the Sac area and our first look at the new look on the water. I'm sore as hell (first 3 sets of year) but happy with how the boat looks on the water. Gotta give @TWhisper another shout out for a very cool design and to @Horton for the BallofSpray photo on the transom. Other members out at the lake were impressed.

• Baller

Nice looking wrap love the MB200 great boat, I've had a wrap on my Centurion for 6 years and it's held up well. Really easy to care for too. The only place I have had issues is around the gas cap due to drips and a couple little rubs here and there.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/photos/sia26513img0.jpg