Lake Merced , San Francisco

rodltg2

• Baller

A sales call took me through SF to Pacifica this Saturday. Never driven this road before and noticed a lake there that would make an

awesome ski site. Looked dead calm and protected by golf courses. Great location for a big pro tournament as well. No way that SF would ever allow it I am sure.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/LakeMerced_zps537253ec.jpg

• Baller

Out of interest, what are the barriers? (Completely concur that it is difficult to see a ski tournament being given the go ahead...but not sure exactly why?)

Disruption?

On a theoretical basis, what would it take? (assuming unlimited resources)

www.swervetracker.com

• Baller

How will you get the water warm enough to ski in? Or keep the Bay winds from blowing it out? Better to have a snow ski race in Hawaii than a waterski tournament lake in SF.

Maybe I'm too cold from my first day of the season on snow skis or remember freezing in Berkley Aquatic park all summer. Desert lakes rock!

Eric

• Baller
It is the Oldest Athletic club in the country. You never know until you approach them and try. You never know who is a skier and prominent member of the club who could help bring this idea into a reality. As an athletic club they may jump at the idea to broaden their membership and activities through skiing.

• Baller

@estrom hosting a tournament would only bring more notoriety to the club. They would also be exposed to a new sport that would able them to expand their member base and offer a new sport. Not that that would be a requirement of hosting the event, but is always a plus. If the membership takes an interest and the city takes interest it can only be a good thing for us and them.

19 sports and 5K members. Golf, Tennis, Fitness Classes (yoga, cardio, pliates, spin ect), Basketball, Cycling, Handball, Lacrossse, Rough Water Swimming, Rugby, Running, Shooting, Ski & Snowboard, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Triathlon, and Water Polo.

• Baller

I don't think the Olympic Club would be interested in "more notoriety" from a water ski tournament. They are more interested in notoriety from hosting the US Open (of golf) which they have done a few times. Eric Lee is right about the cold, too. Have you ever skied at Berkeley Aquatic Park in the summer? That is where I started in the '70s. Blankets, down jackets, and sleeping bags were how you made it waiting for your ride. Lake Merced would be colder and windier. Bishop is right about the environmental impact, too. It would NEVER fly.

A long, long time ago I had been accepted to UC Santa Barbara and was down there with my friends getting set up in an apartment. I was on campus eyeing the UCSB lagoon as an awesome spot for a slalom course, but knew it was highly unlikely. That had about the same chance of working as Lake Merced - probably a slightly better chance actually. I bailed on my friends and went to CSU Chico instead so I could study and be on the water ski and snow ski teams. I gave up surfing for skiing.