Nate...

ral

• Baller

Well, I need to tell 2 things.

1) You need to see him live to understand his technique is different and out of this world. He just gets it. He gets slalom. Nobody out there today or on Wednesday skied at that level. No way of trying to ski like him. And this is the opinion of most of the pros and coaches I talked to this week.

2) He is as nice and kind as he can be. After winning, on his long walk to the dock, he spent a really long time being hugged by total strangers, posing for pictures, with a huge and sincere smile in his face. He is approachable, I talked to him a couple ot times during the week, as did many others, and for sure all of us were more interested on talking to him than he was... but you could not tell.

An exceptional skier and human being.

I need to tell, though, that the stars in our sport are all very nice and approachable in general. Being at the worlds has been one of the best experiences of my life.

• Baller
@ral -- nice summary. I have always believed that 90% of us are within one standard deviation of ability, so if I work harder, I can rise amongst that 90%. Then there are people like Nate, who simply have ability so much greater than the rest of us that we can work as hard as we want and never get to his level. Almost never see a picture of him without a smile on his face!

• Baller_
I wonder if he has rapped his head around it all. When he shows up does he wonder whose gonna take second. By no means do i think he would get cocky but how many wins does it take to get to that point where it's just obvious. Same with Regina. I see them both as humble as all get out. But as stated over and over, most do show up for second. Simply amazing.

Nate is a great guy and a true star in our sport. When I approached him at the event in Orlando, he was rolling on the ground playing with Freddy and Karen's boy. I timidly approached, asking if he minded posing for a quick photo. He jumped up, shook my hand and said, "no problem" I thanked him and apologized to him and Karen. That quick photo turned into several minutes of talking about the sport and other general related stuff. Truly and great human being. Also, Karen K. was also very sweet.

I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!!

• Baller_

@ral: nice post, great to see premier athletes act in a genuine, humble manner. We are fortunate to be able to witness athlete(s) that sets a new level in the sport.

The great advantage to slalom skiing being a niche sport lies in the opportunity for mere mortals to actually be coached by the absolute best in the sport. What other sport(s) are structured in a way where the #1 ranked athlete tutors and coaches the "masses"? We are pretty lucky.