Pics of the 2014 ProStar

ForrestGump

• Baller
Here's a bunch I took after we unwrapped our '14 Pro Star. Driver's position is fantastic. Driver's seat is awesome. Bimini is so simple. Jump seat is nice, in that it folds down flat to the floor. Ski racks are fantastic. Our weather has been crap lately so we'll just wait til after the Houston boat show in January to put it on the water. Maybe. LOL

• Baller_

That is a sweet boat. I typically prefer more white (especially above the rub rail and below the waterline), but I have to admit I really like this color combo.

How about a little video when you start running some sets?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Sweet color scheme, especially if you want to be matchy-match with your read and black A3!

But I pretty much can't imagine a worse place to put a fire extinguisher. You'd have to stick your face into the flames to get it if there's an engine fire.

• Baller_
@Shane: great looking boat. I hope the fire bottle is Halon, can you tell what triggers it. If not, you might want to swap it for a halon bottle but I would assume that it is already. Great idea IMO as the most common reason for a big fire (instead of a small one) in a race car is because the driver fails to use the fire extinguisher...for some odd reason, panic seems to set in during fire events:)

• Baller

@DW It's Mastercraft's standard automatic fire suppression system installed on their boats using FE-241. It has heat sensitive burst disc on the bottle, an outboard heat sensor, and a manual release next to the driver. There is also a secondary hand held fire extinguisher under the passenger seat. Prior to the '14 Prostar, they only installed the automatic systems on V-drive boats. 197's got 2 hand held fire extinguishers.

Believe me, I understand. I piled my drag car into the wall at 187mph. I was knocked silly. I learned my lesson about where the fire bottle's pyrometer needed to be mounted. One of the emergency team had to reach into the car and push the plunger attached to my roll cage as it didn't automatically release.

Believe me, I understand. I piled my drag car into the wall at 187mph. I was knocked silly. I learned my lesson about where the fire bottle's pyrometer needed to be mounted. One of the emergency team had to reach into the car and push the plunger attached to my roll cage as it didn't automatically release.

@ShaneH , Thank God that never happened while I was racing. The only event was I got the car sideways at 135, thank God I was still on the stock 275/40/17's with 15" 305 MT DR's out back. I believe that the wide front tires helped me get control of the car quicker. I was probably a few feet from the right lane wall (racing in left lane). Of course it was only a mid 10 second street car.

Thanks for the pic's of the new PS. I'm really digging it!

• Baller_
@shane: could you add a heat sensor on top of the engine affixed to the engine cover, that will most likely be the first area to get quite warm in the very unlikely event of a fire. I like the fact that it has a remote and manual trigger and FE214 is similar to Halon. I stepped out of a burning race car, took a few steps before I remembered, crap I need to hit the damn button. Swore a lot the following week while cleaning up the mess and doing all the nasty glass work on charred bodywork...

• Baller
When the engine cover closes, the fire bottle is top deck of block high. All of the fire bottles made today which have SFI, FIA, or USCG approval have a burst disk integral to their manifold that will release upon heated overpressure. I believe the requirement is whatever pressure 350 degrees produces.

• Baller
Wow, that's a great looking boat! I'll probably get some thumbs down for this, but I don't think the pricing is out of line in the new Prostar. It's a premier item with a price tag to match. It wasn't that long ago that one could pick up a Boxster, Vette, 3 Series, etc for about $40 either. I think we as slalom guys are just having a hard time getting out of the late 90's / early 2000's mindset, when all of these items were way less money. Heck, I just looked at a '14 Grand Cherokee, and it was $50k. Time is passing, and prices are inflating faster than I'm aging apparently;)

• Baller

LOL, you guys are funny. Just pointing out price points, not starting a car discussion. If my M3 was intended for a 16 year old girl, she must be a driving enthusiast:)

@DW

Like the 924 or 914?;)

@ShaneH

Agreed... Anyone shredding a Boxster or Cayman must not have much or any wheel time in one. They have to purposefully under-power the Cayman so it won't outperform the flagship 911. And don't get me wrong, I love 911's.

• Baller

Back to Prostar pricing, I don't think it's out of line at all. Sure it's high and I wish is was cheaper, but manufacturers need healthy margins or they can't maintain a decent warranty, they can't do the R&D to advance the product, and most importantly, they have to make enough money to survive the cyclical slumps in the economy. I'm sure glad Mastercraft had enough budget to develop the new Prostar!

P.S. for @jayski

I've logged lots of time at the edge in all kinds of Porsches. If Porsche didn't still have such strong demand for the 911, the Cayman would be "allowed" to post the superior numbers it's clearly capable of. It's a shame Cayman and Boxter are considered girls cars or poor-man's Porsches because they are both fabulously capable sports cars. All Porsche needs now is an Italian designer to put a stake in heart of that VW Beetle coachwork lineage once and for all!

Porsche%20at%20Sebring%2008.jpg

Winning at Sebring in the good ol' days

• Baller

@oldjeep - too many variables to list go into pricing. But if we took a very basic look at what goes into pricing it is this: Materials, Labor, SG&A, and last but not least Profit. Most of the variables could be lumped into one of these categories. @skijay said it succintly - "Sure it's high and I wish is was cheaper, but manufacturers need healthy margins or they can't maintain a decent warranty, they can't do the R&D to advance the product, and most importantly, they have to make enough money to survive the cyclical slumps in the economy. I'm sure glad Mastercraft had enough budget to develop the new Prostar!"

One other thing - never underestimate the power of a good negotiator.