2014 A3 vs Vapor

brody

• Baller
I am coming off an A2 and had a very disappointing year with this ski. I did very well on the A1. I have never skied as poorly as I have on the A2. So I am asking for some opinions.....I tried the Vapor and really liked it. I have not tried the 2014 A3. I have a really good price on a new Vapor from a dealer (new). I will not have an opportunity to try the A3 before this offer goes away. Anyone that has skied both please give me your 2 cents on this. I really like a fast ski, I ski at 34, pb is 2 @38 but usually run mid 35's.

• Baller

I have skied both the vapor and the 2014 A-3 two totally differ skis the A-3 requires better handle control square shoulders but it is automatic in the coarse. turns both side great with good angle out of the buoy and great angle off the second wake. The vapor is easy to ride with little to no handle control needed to get wide and early I run about the same buoy count on both skis But I have run more -35 with the vapor. but in all fairness I only skied the A-3 at the end of the season in a wet suit and cold water.

if you liked the Vapor get one!

Now off to the slopes for some winter turns

Deano

• Baller
As stated, the a-3 is a solid ski. It's so fast cross course and it turns on a rail. I've found that a level head and shoulders into the turn is key for this skis success. I've also found that a quicker edge change (not necessarily earlier) will alow it to drive itself into the turn

• Baller
Thanks for the input...I have been on HO for awhile CDX, MONZA, A1, A2.....feel a bit brand loyal. I loved the speed of the Monza, the A1 wasn't as fast but on both skis I ran my 32's probably 80-90% of the time, and usually ended up with 3 or 4 @35. I ran my PB on my A1. On the A2 I ran 32 maybe 20% of the time and never came close to running 35. I know I have issues and handle control is definitely one of them. Anyone else have a hard time going from the A1 to A2? I think the Vapor sounds like the way to go for me with the forgiving reputation. The A3 sounds great if you ski like Will Asher. Just wish I could demo both!

• Baller

@brody I'm sorry that I can't comment on the radar but I do know I came from a 9900 goode. Which was the model ski goode made while the a2 was in production and I can say that there was a VAST difference in performance

I think this is true with ANY modern ski. And that any one you go with will probably be an amazing ski coming off of a 3-4 year old ski

• Baller
So I bit the bullet and ordered my Vapor today! They didn't have any in stock so he had to order directly from Radar. Radar doesn't have any made at this point according to him. The manufacturers are trying to avoid over producing so they are not making any till they get an order put together. NOt sure when it will be ready but since its snowing out I can afford to be patient. If anyone is looking for a discount, he told me that Radar has 12 factory blems that they are trying to unload so if thats something you guys are interested in might be worth looking into. Thanks for the input!!

As of today, I now have the same question and would like to reignite it as it has been nearly 6 months, since the last post on this topic. I demo'd the A3 today and liked it, but I cant find a vapour to try. What's the opinions out there between the two?

• Baller
The 2014 a3 has been updated with a softer flex than previous versions. It Skis really well still fast and responds well to fin adjustments. Since riding this ski I have run more 38's than in my entire life. I see people on the vapor and it appears to have a tendency to wheelie. The A3 definitely turns automatically with the extension of an arm. I am using practically stick fin settings and binding placement with the 66".

• Baller
Yeah the a3 is very consistent on both sides, and like I said it just requires a good reach to initiate and finish the turn. I find myself able to make a mistake and still be in the pass. It's predictable so on my 100% runnable passes, 28-35, I find myself making few mistakes.

• Baller

I have both skis in '14 model. I rode the Vapor for the first time this weekend after about 8-9 sets on the A3.

The A3 generates a ton of angle out of the buoy if you have good form, but requires you to stay in it throughout the pass. It rides low and feels very solid in the turn and through the wakes. Once you have set your angle out of the turn, the ski is very predictable. The ski gives you confidence that it will handle anything you throw at it. You need to be technically sound in your skiing (form/position) to maximize the efficiency of the A3, and if you are, the ski is phenomenal.

In comparison, the Vapor requires much less effort to ride and achieve excellent performance. The word that some extra front foot pressure is important in the turns is correct (when you find the sweet spot for that, look out). The Vapor rides somewhat higher in the turns than the A3, but feels very solid and stable through the wakes. In general, it feels more stable EVERYWHERE. Also, people talk about how fast it is cross-course... they didn't lie. You will be so wide and so early coming into a buoy that you won't know what to do until you get used to it. The Vapor is much more forgiving when you get sloppy, and can help bail you out of some bone-head turns and pre-turns.

Which ski am I going to stick with? Let's just say I have two slalom bags, and they both travel with me.

• Baller
Couple sets in the course on the Vapor and haven't missed a pass yet. (Still running easier passes since its early season here) I can screw up and keep going, I couldn't be happier with the ski, weather permitting this weekend I will start to challenge some harder passes.

• Baller
so have demo both I can't decide. Feel like the A3 is great when set the right angle and turns great . The vapor feels more stable and seemed to make more passed because of it however the potional for the A3 once i Get use to it could be sweet. I hacv had a few blow outs in the course with the A3. I don't know what to do LOL . Every time I ride one I say this is the one.

• Baller

Have you had anyone who watches you ski often take a look? Sometimes an objective opinion from a trusted friend/coach can help. A ski may have a "gee whiz" feel in some aspect that we like, but may not be the best for our overall skiing.

Both skis will obviously work as there are lots of good skiers riding them. Ride both. Get a trusted opinion. My $0.02