Skwal - anyone tried it?

oldjeep

• Baller

Looks like someone is making them again, used to see some old Volkl Squals around in the 90's. Anyone ever tried Skwall - looks like the winter equivalent of water slalom

http://www.skwalusa.com/

I've got a monoski that I bust out occasionally to be the weirdest guy on the mountain - the skwal looks like death on a stick with non-release bindings.

• Baller

I've ridden one. A Lacroix SK200, It had a 16 meter sidecut radius and I was doing mach nothing. I fell right over. I REALLY needed to have some more speed, but these small east coast mountains are too narrow for the stick I had. An 8-12 meter sidecut radius and a length of 165-175cm would be most appropriate for the east mountains. I sold it right away.

There is a Skwal "Easy Jungle" up on Ebay right now. Not mine though but a Rare ride nonetheless. The Skwal I rode for one day wasn't exactly death on a stick, but if you went OTF the board will bend + you would be wearing very stiff ski or hard snowboard boots. I'd be more afraid of catching the downhill edge at speed. Talk about an ear slammer...

• Baller

I don't see any benefit of locking both feet onto a single board for downhill applications. Having a ski on each foot allows you to get in the most dynamic positions possible. For the sake of doing something different-OK, but a good skier on 2 skis will smoke a rider on a single board with the same talent every time.

Of course I might be biased from being a downhill skier for 40 years, 34 of them living at or near a ski area here in southern Colorado.