34mph ski recommendations please

Simonm

• Baller
We are at about the same level. I recently tried some new skis. I took a single set on a friend's Mapple 6.0, and I demo-ed a 2013 Prophecy, 2013 Quest, & 2014 HO A3. Prior to this, I was skiing on the 2011 Strada. Each ski had excellent characteristics. The Mapple felt like it was on a rail across the wake, like it was going to get there wide an early no matter what. The Prophecy was agile and fast. I could push it around and it responded. The Quest had an amazing offside, almost too much. The A3 was, just right for me. It is smooth, predictable, effortless to get wide and early. It gives me more time to get stacked and be patient out to the buoy. All the skis were great and I am sure I could have found success on any of them. I chose the 2014 A3 as it just fit best. The only ski on my wish list that I didn't get to try out was the new Radar Vapor. Every now and then I wonder what if... but then I take a set on my '14 A3 and know that I made a great choice. Any of these skis should be able to run 39.5 off by themselves. It's the skier who is preventing that from happening. So, try to ride what you can and then go with what helps you build good form. For me it was '14 HO A3. Message me if you want to discuss more.

• Baller

@ToddL I am on a Strada right now and am the same level of skiing. What swayed you from the Strada to an A3. My brother is on an A3 and loves it and basically pickup a full pass from his immediately with the ski. Has me thinking A3 but I am also thinking the Strada is plenty of ski for my level already and should suffice (according to my wife anyways).

Ryan

• Baller

@AndersonSkiTeam - There wasn't anything "wrong" with the '11 Strada. I ended up getting an unexpected windfall via a work bonus and started thinking about all the hype on all of the new skis. I am certain that the Strada could have gotten me a few passes further. Once I started trying new skis, I discovered how my style blended or had to adapt to each. Some of my bad habits were compatible with some setups while some of the desired good habits were more rewarded with other setups.

I have really struggled with my entry and exit out of my off-side turn (LFF, 2-4-6 ball turns). That was the make/brake point in any pass. The Prophecy was very fast and responsive. When I was "on" it was excellent. When I was "off" or out of good position, it still let me scramble a lot but I paid for it with hard hits or falls or reinforcing poor form. I think for a skier with more consistent fundamentals, the Prophecy is a seriously great ski. The Quest was really amazing in the 2-4-6 turns for me. But I had to re-learn how to ride slalom on that ski. More front foot pressure, but absolutely no break at the waist into the buoys. I saw someone said on BOS, the fin had to be set to tame the ski a bit. For me, it seemed to be a little too much at times. It was more sensetive to skier stance and my sets on it were hot/cold. The A3 just worked for me. It seemed to be predictable, rewarded good posture, was efficient and fast, but not radical. At the time when I demo-ed all three, I was able to eventually match my season PB on each ski. None of them were a full pass better than PB during the demo rides. I skied between 5-10 sets on each.

And, yes... The main thing holding my scores back wasn't my old ski, it was issues from the ankle up. However, the new ski is rewarding and thus promoting some long overdue improvments and changes to my skiing technique. On the old ski, it was too tempting to just scramble through the tough passes and thus continue with bad habbits.

Some great advice and insights. I have a range of skis to demo now and just need to find the best way to achieve that in little old New Zealand! One other question. 172cm and worst case 80kgs what length ski? I've only ever skied on a 67 or 67.5

• Baller
@Simonm I went from an A1 to and S2 a couple of seasons ago and found it to be a really natural progression. Just EASIER at 55kph! A lot easier on the body and a very forgiving which will help at 14m, BTW am slightly taller and similar weight and ski on a 66.5" it has never felt small.