body alignment in edge change

ForrestGump

• Baller

So in discussing @Horton's point to me about Nate and Mapple riding out to the buoy line with a ski on a noticeably flatter pitch, one of the top Big Dawg skiers told me this..................

I do not want to push the ski out in front of me during the edge change as that only forces my weight back, setting a harder edge with more pitch. Ideally i want my hips to move out in alignment with my knees which move out in alignment with my feet. What you find is that nearly every skier is out of alignment at that phase with either hips and shoulders back behind knees or shoulders ahead of hips which are behind feet. Nate keeps his entire unit in tact everywhere.

In addition, he then stated that he believes most skiers are trying to send their ski towards the shore much too soon, right after the second wake. Which causes the boat to move away as they're slowing too much on that inside edge.

Thoughts?

• Administrators

most skiers are trying to send their ski towards the shore much too soon

Honest to Buddha I hear stuff like this and I have no idea what it means. I am not 100% sure that the way I visualize the edge change and the path out is correct but I do not "send my ski out". If I do the right things my outward inertia drags the ski away from my COM. If I resist that inertia by staying tall/ not falling to the inside and keeping the handle close to my center, I get wider.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

I think he is talking about trying to get the ski wide of the buoy line too early. Instead of riding the natural line of the handle with your line of site inside the buoy until extending at the apex of the arc and just slipping the ski outside the buoy line. I know when I finally started trusting a narrower (inside the buoy line) preturn I started running a lot more 38's.