First experience with Camaro 2mm Black Tec, and Robby's Ski Shop

JohnCox

• Baller

A few weeks back, I decided I wanted to try out a full suit, because, even though I have a great drysuit, and I seem to be able to wear it in February and March, I just can't make myself put it on at the end of the season. So, I stopped by Trophy Lakes to try a couple on while down there on business. A medium titanium was too tight, I thought, and a large 1mm black was definitely too big. So, Austin got his hands on a medium 1mm for me to try just for fit, and it was great. I wanted a 2mm, and Trophy was not able to get their hands on one to fit me, so I found and ordered one from Robby's Ski Shop.

It arrived last Friday, and I was like a kid on Christmas morning. Unfortunately, when I tried it on alone, I managed to put a small tear in it (there's a "pull" strap below the zipper...requires care when using, and I think I will remove it...). I sent Robby a note with a couple of pictures of the tear, and the fit, and talked to her on Monday. We talked about the tear, and the size, because apparently, I'm built a little differently than an Austrian water skier... Robby told me that she thought the size I had was the right one, and to go ahead and ski in the suit just to be sure, and she would replace it with whatever size I wanted, or give me a full credit. I will add that Robby certainly knows her stuff on these suits!

So, yesterday was my first opportunity to go test it out. Our lake has dropped, so when we got there, the entire course was laying loose on top of the water. Normally, that means someone dives, and is too cold to ski, but everyone else gets to. My main purpose for being there was to try my suit, so I offered to swim. I put my suit on, and then put a shorty on over it to both protect it, and maybe give my core a little more insulation. The temperature at the surface was 60, and I'd guess at the bottom of the lake was closer to 50. I swam for over a half hour, and dove and adjusted every buoy in the course. No problem. I took the shorty off, and put on some socks and sweats over the suit while my partner took a set. Normally, I can't stand to keep a suit on but this one was not an issue. He skied, and I hopped in for my first set in the suit. Wow. Warm. Flexible. Not binding or cumbersome at all. It was almost like I didn't have anything on, and felt free enough to ski like it was June (it is more comfortable than my normal top...). I got out, kept the suit on to drive, and then skied another set. I'll be trying it out again today and tomorrow....

This suit has certainly extended my season on both ends, and I'd say has a chance of eliminating the use of a drysuit for me. When I talk to Robby Monday to make arrangements for a swap, I may have to add a Camaro top to the order...

Thanks, Robby!!

• Baller

Good to hear. I have the same feelings about a Barefoot International heater top. Finally bought one of those and have elminated the shorty. For me trunks and a heater top till it drops below 60 from now on.

I've been thinking about a wetsuit mainly for taking docks and boat rails in and out, as I don't want to risk tearing my baggy drysuit. I'll look at that Camaro.

• Baller

Plus 1 on Robby for great customer service and the BlackTec 2mm full suit for warmth, fit, and comfort. She was great to work with through a couple of exchanges while we got to the best size for me. At 6'3" and 170lbs I'm usually a Large Tall in wetsuits. The Camaro in Large was the ticket for me. Contact Robby before hand and discuss the fit and she'll get you dialed in.

@JohnCox said it all above so I'll just add of few other great features. Easy on and off cause it's so light and flexible. Best to have a ski partner zip it up. Almost no water gets in. Exterior skin holds NO water so no wind chill effect. Yes you can wear it between sets and not get chilled. I've let a ski partner try it first, then after his set I got right into it wet and was steamy warm before I could walk to the dock. Even better, I've taken it off, hung it up inside-out and it was completely dry in 30 minutes for my next set. Water temps have been 59-62 F and air 58-70. I expect the BlackTec 2 full suit will handle down to the low 50's.

I just tried my 2mm Camaro out yesterday for the 1st time. I was at the very top end of medium (except chest size which i was large) so I went with large. Felt comfortable in about 62F water and 65F air. More water came in than I expected. Definitely a 'wet' suit. It's very comfortable and flexible. Feels like pajamas. But not sure I'll be wearing it into the low 50's water temp.

• Baller

I have an Oneill 2mm long sleeve shorty and Camaro blacktec 1.0 long sleeve shorty. The camaro is at least half the thickness and weight and is warmer. Skied them both in high 50s degree water and saved the camaro suit for the second round.

As @horton said, they are fragile, but it's worth it. The longer I can avoid the dry suit the better. The "fall weather" in Cali is helping too

• Baller

"they are fragile"

OK, so what does a new Camaro owner need to watch out for? Or, what steps do they need to take to avoid damage?

I am very much considering buying one of the 1mm or 2mm suits, but that comment gave me pause...

• Baller_
I purchased a triathlon long wetsuit for my daughter. Basically same material, same welded seams and insainly stretchy. She nicked a hole in it day one. She leaned into something. Was an easy repair with black wetsuit glue stuff. But be mindfull of where u r in relation to surroundings. The tri suit was used and crazy cheap. She stays dry.

• Baller_
@JonCox as stated, I bought it for my daughter who was born and raised here. She gets chilled when it dips below 70 water temp. But, I will say with the way the wetsuit is built, like the Camaro, she skies in 60 water temp and has no idea it's that cool. But it has to be sunny. Whatever it takes to get her out there.... I do not own a wet suit or dry suite ;) .

• Baller
@Toddl and others...wanted to address the "fragile" Camaro comments...they are! But, can they be used in our world without issue absolutely! The coating is what is more sensitive...than your grandpas old school thick heavy neoprene. Fingernails and ruff stuff in general is not their friend...you cant rebuild the jump ramp in it or play ball with the dog...but for sure you can waterski in it very comfortably. They also need to fit tight to do their job well, but sometimes that means help ziping. If it worries you Eagles heater suit shorty is great and no issues with the coating. Eagle drysuiits are awesome and strong too! All great stuff, gotta go with what suits your style...Hope that helps? If not reach out anytime if you need more info, I sell all of them and have a good idea of sizes and uses work best.

• Baller

Thank you @waterskigirl. I have to say that I am very impressed with your knowledge and helpfulness.

As for the Camaro black tec, other than my bonehead maneuver when I first got the suit, is see no issues with it. Yes, it is soft, so I will be careful, and I will have someone else zip it, but other than that, I'm just going to ski.

I had my third test today. Air was pleasantly in the mid 60s, and water at 58. One of my partners wore his drysuit and was cold. The other wore his and was so constricted he had trouble skiing. They each skied one set. I skied 2, and was comfortable beyond my expectations. Not just the warmth, but my ability to move freely. Back to back 35s is good in June, let alone in a wetsuit in November....

I have an eagle drysuit that I use in January and February, but I just can't go from a top to a drysuit....

I think I will talk to Robby about a top, too.

• Baller
Wore my black tec today in 52 water and 46 air. I had taken my first set in my drysuit and thought I'd try the black tec for the second set. I figured I'd be cold, but didn't want to put the drysuit back on. I took 8 passes stayed completely warm. Not a shiver, or chilled at all. Very impressed. I figure it will be good down to 50, then I'll be back in my drysuit.

• Baller
Camaro 2mm full suit. Air 50 water 50. skied 2 sets. Only my hands were cold, changed gloves to my Chotas for the second set and everything was toasty warm. Have found that drying off the suit after a set keeps me warmer if I am leaving it on. However it's really easy to put on and take off that usually I don't keep it on. Letting it dry 20 minutes inside out and then 20 minutes right side out and its dry and ready to go again. I always have somebody zip it up since it doesn't have a pull cord. I have noticed that a life jacket tends to stick to the suit when putting on. Also the suit doesn't slide on the seats or the fiberglass deck. However once you hit the soap on the platform (from putting the boots on) It slides really easy as you do into the water. Sometimes before your ready to. This was a great purchase and so far is keeping me out of the dry suit. I use the velcro straps around the ankles to keep them tight. This really reduces the amount of water that gets in from deep water starts.

• Baller
I get more down the neck on a bad water start than the zipper lets in. At 50 temp water it wasn't to uncomfortable. By the end of the first pass it's warmed up and the drop at the other end doesn't seem to let anymore in. However it isn't a dry suit and since it fits so tight there isn't much room for water. I usually have about 1/2 cup of water in each leg after a six pass set with one fall. No falls no real water to speak of. Remember I use dry suit velcro straps around the ankles.

• Baller
I bought the Titanium 2mm shorty (long sleeve) back in May...posted previously on the "above and beyond" service from @waterskigirl. In the spring it was "like a dry suit"...truly amazing. @Wish this fall I noticed that there was a water "trickle" through the zipper...not terrible but very noticeable as compared to the "zero leak" in the spring. Called @waterskigirl about a few small surface tears and was told to use acquaseal on them...not being too concerned about the final look I went overboard and surely they're fixed...but someone more careful could end up with a nicer finished look. Eventually may try to use the acquaseal along the zipper, but have not done that...it'll have to wait until the spring. For my "money", Camaro and Robby SkiShop=great product and super service!!!

• Baller_
Well, just for fun I thought I'd try the new suit. Not really cold enough but hay like any new toy.... So everything stated about the suits is true as far as I can tell. Water got in through the zipper but at such a slow and minimal rate that it just didn't matter. Once I was in the course, I totally forgot I had it on. Amazing. When I took it off, it weighed half what all my other wetsuits weighed as they seem to stay waterlogged. This just doesn't hold that much water to add that much weight. I am very impressed to say the least and this IS the best wet/semi-dry suit I have ever owned.