Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Ok slalom geeks! What did you learn in 2013?

Horton

• Baller
@horton on my offside I tend to just be a sack of failure unless I focus on keeping my upper body "silent" I call this countering because if I didn't I would end up with my shoulders and hips facing the boat. If I can counter my hips heading to my offside I can continue moving outbound effectively like my onside.

Try to get high up on the boat on my out, starting my out outside the white water, keeping slight left edge on my glide to keep from sneaking in, make my in smooth, but edge hard and aggressive through the gates earlier, keep handle low, a little longer, and hips forward, think 3 and 9 o'clock, instead of the balls. More right arm pressure going right, left arm pressure going left, try to keep up my speed during my turn, finish my turn, and if I am doing it right, the turn and completion actually feels slow, and not rushed. I can't think about everything on my pass, I have to only try to concentrate on a couple things at a time. Laugh, and have fun.

• Baller
I learned that getting your wife and kids hooked on being at the end of the rope is one of the best things ever.....I also learned that doing so will drain all excitement you used to have for fun winter sports like sledding. Lakes aren't even froze and once deer season is over I'd be OK with summer showing up again.

• Baller
Exactly what JJVDMZN said...everything I thought I knew about skiing is wrong. Hitting the balls is WAY more addictive than I thought it could be...and finally...it is MUCH easier to let someone else teach your kid how to ski, and they will want it more if you aren't the one pushing.

• Baller

1 - Never EVER lose sight of keeping a tight line out to the buoy.

2 - I have to be lighter out of my onside and into the first wake for my edge change to start happening at the right time.

3 - whatever @bishop8950 tells me.

4 - I would say level shoulders through the edge change and turn, but I didn't learn that this year. I learned it many years ago and keep relearning it every year.

• Baller_

I learned that a practice PB doesn't count. Oh, and a couple other things:

1. Handle control, handle control, handle control (kind of like "location, location, location" for real estate).

2. Shorter line, slower speed practice is helpful and your ski will not sink and you will not fall over. You really can ski the pass "that slow" and develop some good skiing position doing so.

3. No matter how stacked you think you are, you're not. Take video.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Keep back leg "straight". Level shoulders. Engage core to keep outside elbow tight to vest (handle control). Don't give the handle to the boat all at once (for handle release) - do a gradual reach and keep a tight line.

One other thing - @Horton has a Panda.

• Baller

I learned a few things that may just fit me rather than be right for everyone. These are the key thoughts for me that came out from coaching from a few different sources:

1. Maintain back arm pressure out to the ball. I translate this as my left arm going to 1 ball and right arm going to 2 ball. When I do that everything gets easier.

2. Keep the ski underneath me all the way out and around the ball. This thought keeps me over the ski better and helps me control slack on my offside.

3. At 32 and 35 off work harder earlier going to 1 ball. In an effort to hide from the boat I was loading late and still accelerating after the second wake. My idea with this is to hit max speed right behind the boat.

I still have plenty of stuff to work on including keeping my head level in my onside turn but these three thoughts helped me make 32 off more consistent and get through 35 for the first time.

• Baller
@ShaneH - so, by "shoulders behind hips" do you mean in relation to where your ski is pointing or in relation to the line from the pylon to the handle? Where is your sternum pointed when you are crossing the course centerline (directly behind the boat)?

• Baller

Two things: 1. After watching video taken of me two weeks ago free-skiing at Lake Mead, I realized that how I pictured myself looking in my mind is not even close to how I actually look in video. Geez, I suck!

2. Sometimes out at the ski dock there is too much drama and political crap going on between some members of the club. We all need to remember that when it is all said and done, waterskiing is suppose to be fun and we should enjoy it while we can. Ski and let ski!

Garn

• Baller
@jimbrake I actually went and revised what I posted to be a little more clear on #1. The elite skiers like Andy, CP, Nate, Regina, etc have some things in common, regardless of style. One of those is that they continue to keep their upper body leaned away from the boat even while the ski is transitioning out from under them.

• Baller

1)Equipment matters - went from a sixam to a strada

2) Fitness matters - dropped 40 pounds in the winter/spring '13

3) practice matters - skied average 6 sets a week

4) Edge changes

5) Read what the wise post on this site, it has helped

6) because of 1-5 I feel like I am on the verge of a breakthrough into the shorter rope lengths.

hopefully it comes together next year for a full 35 off pass...or more

• Administrators

@ToddL you do understand that the "Reverse C" is the result of things and not something that you try to do?

I thing way to much was made of this idea a few months ago and think it was generally misunderstood.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_

Learned (the hard way) that even in a SportTube, TSA can jack you fin. ALWAYS check

Learned that video is key...but may have learned that last yr.

Learned that not practicing in wind can be costly on tournament day.

Learned the only thing more fun then participating in the AtlantaPro Am was winning it. Even better...beating the intergalactic leader.. on homemade; boots, ventral, and side force enhancer

Learned that BOS is the undisputed best way to meet great guys (and gals) in the sport.

Learned that even though I live on a FL lake, there are flat glass days that go un-skied.. no driver

Learned way to much from BOS to list here from skiing to skis to boat maintenance to politics of the sport to rules and regs to who is who in the sport on and on and on.

Learned there is NO faster way to get your water ski news then right here on BOS.

Learned that accepting my obsession (wife's term) with skiing makes it far more enjoyable and I do not apologize for it.

Learned that there is a very fine balance between encouraging your off spring to ski and just letting them find their way on their own. And keeping it fun is always key. Gets harder as they get older.

Learned that C1 is my ZO setting and anyone that tells you to use "X" cause it's like PP, just ignore them and try them all and you will find what you like.

Learned that watching the TW slow mo vid of 32-39 IS THE BEST VISUAL TO PLANT IN MY BRAIN.

Learned that even Andy thinks my boot plates are not a crazy idea. Vindication

Leaned that building my own crap on my ski is educational, cost effective and it works.

And best of all... Learned that you can put up a post about sun protection/skin cancer and more then a year and a half later realize that it still comes back to the top, gets mentioned in other threads and continues to save lives. I like this last one.

I learned the Prophecies, although most excellent skis, will not support a SUV. R.I.P. big orange, hello putrid pink.

I learned the guys who run Connelly are excellent people. Unfortunately with crappy taste in colors, but excellent people all the same.

Trailing arm pressure and handle control as practiced by the studs and studettes have yet to be properly explained to the masses.

It takes repairing two blown Achilles on both of your ski buddies before an Ortho Surgeon will switch to gatormod.

Rotating the disty on a PCM Excalibur will center the rotor spark without affecting ignition timing.

Patent law and capitalism are murky concepts where a number of the ballers are concerned.

My amazement at the density of the ballers who trash gatormod was only exceeded by amazement at my own stupidity in not using an arm guard until my buddy broke his arm and almost lost it. WTF have I been thinking?

And finally, and most unfortunately not until the last 5 sets of the season, I learned that all angle generating technique experiments are rendered void if my shoulders are rounded ahead of my ribs. Damn. That was a lot of gas and marital damage for naught.