Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Indmar unveil today

swc5150

• Baller
@dw Dart blocks not a bad call, but certainly not cheap. I do have a few raised cam versions sitting in the shop. 632ci probably a little much for a ski boat though so we can't use the cranks I have. Have to shorten them up a bit. I never thought about ski boat with a set of my Big Chief heads onboard. Man this has me thinking fun stuff.

• Baller
Whatever the final solution is, I hope it's a V8. I'm actually afraid that a boosted I4 or V6 will be the response because they seem logical on nearly every front. I worry that sound is too low of a priority. If I'm going to spend hours upon hours in a boat, please let me listen to a big warm V8 or the silence of electric. The thought of skiboats sounding like little inboard/outboard runabouts gives me bitter beer face.

• Baller

@Ham_Wallace You are already bolting something to the engine, a geared transmission. Since HP=torque X rpm, if you have plenty of horsepower, all you need is to adjust the rpms with gearing to get the torque desired. No substitute for proper gearing!

Kirk has a little Ninja motorcycle. It is quiet, light and fun. But gutless in the wrong gear. If I ride the tach with an auto or boat mentality it is a dog. If I ignore the tach and ride what feels right it is sweet. The tach may be two or three times what I am used to but that's what the engine was designed for.

I hope that ZO can cope with different power curves and still give the same feel. That is the real challenge.

Eric

• Baller

@DW My 250HP American Skier weighed a LOT less and had a nice low drag hull. And jumpers were less dependent on massive boat horsepower. The new engines are pretty cool - small, lightweight and lots of horsepower. Maybe Indmar will develop a real winner with the new engines.

Eric

• Baller

A coworker has a SN196 with a supercharged Ford 5.4 liter (F-150 Lightning engine). They built a couple when ski fly was getting some legs. I think his is 1 of 2 still running and floating. The heat exchanger for the supercharger is a closed cooling system and the marinization has some issues leading to water in the air stream (mainly condensation build up with out a proper automatic draining system).

He used to work for ford during the modular engine boom and had input on the lightning engine. For a marine environment and after having a boosted marine engine he would rather not have the complexity. The power is great but a naturally aspirated package with its simplicity would give him more hours of ski time with less maintenance/upkeep time (his words).

• Baller
Exactly. Why make it any more complex and costly than it really has to be. Simpler is (almost) always better. They've already priced the majority out of the new boat market as is, more complex and pricier engines will only price even more of us out of the market. Someone somewhere will continue to produce old school small blocks. It already works, no need to fix it IMO.