Anyone skied behind a Malibu vRide 21?

oldjeep

• Baller
Starting to look around at the possibilities for next years boat. So far we've been looking at the Moomba Outback V and Malibu LSV 20 - hard to find in our price range. I'm seeing a lot of 09 vRides available and it looks like about what we are looking for, but I'm wondering what the ski wake is like.

• Baller
What I have always said about V drive "ski" boats (MC had one a few years ago)- If you could get a good slalom wake with the extra weight of an engine in the back, imagine what it would be like with an engine in the middle. V drive "ski" boats are NOT ski boats. We had the MC at a Wade Cox clinic in July. Me and my buddy show up with an old Nautique (1990's Nautique compared to brand new MC "ski" boat) and he came over and begged to use the Nautique. We thought it was a joke when we first saw the wakeboard boat waiting to pull skiers.

@oldjeep- A friend of mine recently purchased a 2012 21' Malibu Wakesetter VLX with the Diamond Hull. I have skiied it a few times now. The wake is acceptable for a v-drive for free skiing. I typically ski at 30-32 mph. Not sure if the V-Ride was made with the Diamond Hull because it was sold as a "budget" wakeboard boat. The V-Rides are older wakesetter hulls and may have come with the wakeboard hull only.

I have heard the Outback V has an acceptable ski wake for a v-drive too.

• Baller

I've heard that about the outback V as well and if I have to buy new that is the only choice. My definition of acceptable is pretty loose since I spend half my time skiing behind an LXI or Prostar and the other half behind a Bayliner 195 ;) So what I'm looking for is something that I can use for free skiing on my good ski at 32MPH and not feel like I'm going to die.

The Bayliner is getting replaced for next season, but I still need a boat where you can sit 4-5 people and ski that won't swamp in 10 seconds on Lake Minnetonka.

So the Diamond Hull is the magic thing with the Malibus then? That is good to know.

@Ilivetoski - what is the name of that Mastercraft that you seem to hate so much - was it a Maristar or something different?

As long as I'm listing out my requirements - budget is around 40K, and hopefully a single axle trailer since it'll be a garage boat - but I could swap the trailer out if I had to.

Yeah, the Diamond is the hull you want. It has lifting chines at the edge of the hull which help lift it out of the water at slalom ski speeds. I haven't skiied a direct drive boat in years so my definition of acceptable might be a little different than yours as you are skiing the LXI and Prostar. I feel like I am going to die when I ski my friend's Mastercraft X-30 but I don't feel that way behind the Malibu.

• Baller

@oldjeep I did a similar search as you a while back and skied a few boats. Here are the options in order of wake quality.

Nautique Sport 200

Malibu 20 LSV or VTX on a diamond hull

Malibu 21 LSV on a diamond hull

Mastercraft 214V (with the adjustable "multi sport" wake plate)

Moomba Outback V (with the adjustable wake plate)

If I were trying to keep a reasonable wake so when you didn't have access to a DD ski boat the Sport 200 and the Malibu 20 LSV or VTX would be the only choices. The rest suck, I wouldn't even attempt the course with them.

Also if you slow these boats down below 32 MPH the wakes will grow substantially. Below 30 they are more of a "follow the boat" type wakes for skiing and nothing you could attack on a slalom ski unless you like not touching the water from the second wake all the way to the buoy line.

• Baller

@Wayne - thanks for the info. Don't see very many Nautiques around here, but there are a lot of Malibus and Mastercrafts. I'm not really concerned about the course for my boat, just want something that I can freeski hard behind.

• Baller

@oldjeep I feel your pain. I ski behind a 19 foot stern drive too! And yes, I have skied on Minnetonka.

I have learned to stay on edge pretty hard when crossing the wakes, especially with 5 people in the boat. This year I might get a Satori. Fun and easy. You can ski some serious wind and chop. I still like the glass on a better ski in the AM and evening, but...

To be honest, some of the best wakes I have skied was an Alumacraft fish and ski with a 115 outboard. Light boat is your friend. Big comfy boat? Heavy. Good luck. Tell me what you find, because I want one.

• Baller
Had an '08 Malibu VTX with diamond hull...just sold it and bought a '13 Malibu TXi. Loved the room just did not enjoy skiing behind it...believe me I tried to convince myself it was a decent slalom boat for years because it had so many other good qualities. Wake on the VTX is wide, high and fairly firm. Even when you try to attack the wake on edge free skiing you need to keep soft knees to absorb the first wake then there is a considerable pause due to the wake width (at 11 off, 34 mph) before falling off the second wake. It totally screws up your timing and your body position tends to default to defense mode rather than attack mode. 11 off is not a typo...we added 4 feet to the line to avoid the rooster tail at 15 off and don't even try 22 off, it will feel like a mule kicked your ski. At 28 off and shorter it's not too bad but still hard. I believe the V-Ride is the wake hull so even worse likely?? although never skied behind one. Do yourself a favour and ski both a V-Ride and Direct drive back to back for a fair comparison.

Sunsetter LXi from something like 99-04 is a foot longer than the response lxi, I think a little deeper which might help in chop, and supposed to ski nearly as well.

The problem with any DD being used as a 'family' boat, and wanting to be able to ski while there are still 4-5 people in the boat is the pylon making the back seat unusable.

There are a few ways to address it and still go for a direct drive assuming you can't fit everyone foward of the plylon (or don't want to since the bows are shallow already).

- Boat with a rear tow point. Fine for small kids. Definitely don't want to ski hard behind. Malibus and many Mastercrafts have one already, Nautiques have the lifting ring which shouldn't be used for that and you'd have to install one. Still only good for light kids if you're playing it safe. (Or wally out and hook up to the D rings instead, maybe that's good enough for free skiing days?)

- Tower (or extended pylon, etc). You still don't want to ski hard on it it. However, if you get your skiing in on ski days, maybe you will be content doing something from the tower on family days. Wakeboard, learn to trick ski, or maybe something like a Satori/Freeride to still feel like you're skiing if you're just going to be free skiing anyway. Do that on family days, ski hard on other days.

- Get a boom and learn to foot ;)

You can still run into the swamping issue if the lake is really that big/busy, only you know what you're comfortable with. Something like the Sunsetter Lxi, or maybe second generation Mastercraft 205 had some freeboard added (maybe 95+?) if a normal tournament boat is too shallow. A Response FXi might be in your range but are hard to find, basically a Direct drive VTX. Have heard some people like them, others that the wake was better but not better enough to make up for losing the v-drive advantages of the VTX. Worth demoing if you happen to find one.

• Baller

Father in laws previous boat was a Sunsetter LXI - wouldn't work for our purposes. Still has poor seating and the pylon location makes half of it unusable when skiing. My kids are 23,16,15 so we need the space for them and friends.

We're definitely getting a v-drive. If I wanted to ski from a tower (scary) or tow ring, I'd just keep the boat I have now and save a bucket full of money ;)

• Baller
@oldjeep if you've definitely decided you're getting a v-drive regardless of all the suggestions above against it, don't be surprised if 18 months or less from the date of purchase to find yourself with a serious case of buyers remorse ASSUMING you do really want to be able to ski agressively behind it. Ain't gonna happen my friend. We tried to warn you...

• Baller

When we started skiing the course it was behind a Mariah 180 Shabah, so I think my expectations are lower than you think ;) Incidentally on one of your ez-slalom courses.

I can ski aggressively behind my Bayliner 195, I just have to use a bigger ski (69 OBrien Evidence or 69 KD Powercarve) I'm looking for something where the wake is softer than my I/O at 15 off so I can use my radar.

I appreciate all of the DD lovers, but they are a single purpose boat. I need something that can do more than drive back and forth in a calm swimming pool.

If I want to ski the course I can use an LXI or a Prostar which will be parked right next to 2 different courses next year.

My purpose here is to find out from people who have actually skied behind some of these v-drives which ones might have the best wake. Reality is that I will not likely be able to ski behind whatever I buy before I buy it - I'll likely pick something up feb-april. We're expecting 4-6" of snow today, waterski season is pretty much over.

• Baller_
I suggest you visit the brand specific forums to get additional model and hull specifics data. The Malibu forum has expertise on the breakdowns for all models and of course some "friendly" feedback on the "opposition"!

• Baller

I have an 07 Moomba Mobius LS. The LS is basically the LSV but in a direct drive instead of a v-drive. I got it as a compromise as well. We go to Powell and Mead a lot. A tournament boat in those lakes would be miserable in even a small wind. But my LS handles it great (taller freeboard, 21 1/2 ft length, deeper v-drive in front). And when we go we have probably about 8 people on board. I think it is the perfect compromise. It handles rough water very well but still has an extremely skiable wake. We use it in the slalom course all summer. The problem is Moomba stopped making them a few years ago so you would have to look for a used one. But I love mine. Here's a picture of my wife getting ready to ski our course at Utah Lake behind our boat. The rack on the right side of the tower is to hold our hydrofoil.

Garn

• Baller

If you...

1) As stated have access to DD for skiing.

2) Have 3 kids that want to bring freinds.

3) Need something good for rough water.

Why not just buy an older, larger Vdrive(23')?

Sounds like you have access to some great slalom boats and don't necessarily need to ski behind this Vdrive?

A 20' Vdrive will feel awefully crowded if your kids all bring a friend or two.

• Baller
FWIW @oldjeep I'd argue that not ALL DD's are single purpose boats. Most are but not all IMO. I bought my LXI because I needed a great ski boat that would also make a passable family boat (wife's requirement to purchase), which IMO it is. My wife and I can lounge comfortably in the bow (with filler cushion installed) no problem. When skiing we can put 2 in the observers seat and 2 more in the bow if necessary and still make it work, especially for non-course type skiing. I'd have thought a Sunsetter LXI would do that even better but you've tried that and weren't convinced. No offense intended by my earlier comment, just thought you likely wouldn't be satisfied with a V-drive but sounds like for your specific criteria that's your best option.

• Baller
I've got a lot of seat time in an LXI and while it is a great boat in a lot of circumstances, it is not much fun in open water. I've filled it up with water a couple times in moderate chop. My most memorable moment involving the LXI was the family trip we took to Lake of the Ozarks a few years ago. We took my Bayliner and the LXI with about 12 people between the 2 out to the dam which was a few miles down the lake. By the time we were headed back the traffic had picked up and I was trying to figure out why my FIL was following me so close, so I shut down to see if he needed something. He's waving and yelling until I understand when I see the water coming over the front, so we take off again as I'm plowing the road for him at 40 MPH ;)

• Baller

$27,500 would be great and I've got no use for my own DD. The only thing I don't like about the older outback V's is the quality of the interiors and the tower that is on them. For 13K I might be able to get over it ;)

I got a pretty good list from the Malibu board of what I'm looking for - 2007 VTX 20ft seems to be at the top of the list if I could find one. The Mastercraft list is pretty short - Maristar or nothing else, the 214V puts the pylon in the middle which takes all the advantage out of the V-drive seating.

• Baller
@oldjeep I would go after a Malibu 20 LSV then. The basic ones fit in your price range. If it's made up with a tower and some options they approach $45k but you should be able to find one. You might have to travel a bit for it though. There is one on boat trader in ID and the last one I saw for sale before the season started was in WI.

• Baller
Traveling isn't an issue - I like an excuse for a good road trip, even better if it involves going near some ski areas. For now I'm just browsing and trying to figure out what I'm looking for, around Feb I'll get serious about it.

Sorry guys ....I ski behind a 2007 Vride. It is not the best, not even great, but hey....it is not that awful. When we bought it i, it was meant for the kids to wake boarding and ocasnionally to water ski with combos. So at 50 plus I decided that I wanted to learn slalom skiing and here I am.....skiing behind a Vride. If you just put two persons on board and not much gas on the tank, it is ok. The wakes are mean but then when a friend invites me to ski behind a Mastercraft dedicated slalom boat or a Response, it is soooo great that I feel like I am improving a lot. Besides, the Vride is roomey, great for the family and ofcoarse, with the tanks full, the wedge down, and a few heavies onboard, it is a superb wake boat.

• Baller

@skibrain - That dyanaski is a cool looking boat, but doesn't have the wrap seating and I hate outboards. Being a car guy I've got no issues working on car engines, but outboards are like working on a snowmobile 20lbs of crap in a 10lb bag.

Going back to my original question, I did find out that the V-ride was offered with the SV23 hull - not sure if that is Diamond or not. If I was ready to go today I could pick up a 400 hour boat for under 38K.

@oldjeep, the SV23 hull can either be a wake hull or a diamond hull. I saw your posts on malibucrew, they gave some good points on looking at the chines to tell the difference. I'd also check out their listing of boats by year and options on the crew website (under the specficiations link).

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/specs.html

I have to agree with @Fer on skiing behind something with a much bigger wake, then going to a smaller wake. I was struggling to ski 32 mph @ 15' on my friends SN 206. Two days later behind my boat I ran more passes at 34 mph in one day than I have combined all year, I also tried 22' at 34 mph for the first time in my life!

• Baller

@Joeprunc yes, the Malibu crew folks were very helpful, even got contacted by one guy offering to sell me a boat ;) Just not ready to pull the trigger until after bonuses and tax liabilities are figured out for the year in Feb.

Very handy chart - thanks!