boat insurance questions/help

andjules

• Baller

Odd situation: My brother and I are buying a boat this weekend, in Florida. My brother lives ("winters") in Lauderdale and he'll store it all winter in his back yard. In the spring it will come back to Canada to be used as a ski boat, and we'll get Canadian insurance then.

In the meantime, we've got to insure it either:

a) just against theft and damage in his back yard

or

b) he'd like the freedom to take it out for a cruise once in a while (no skiing), so just basic boat owner's insurance w liability.

Questions:

1) Never insured a boat in FL (or the US). Do you have a contact/recommendation for reasonable-priced insurance for either scenario (a) or (b)? Please PM me.

2) Do you have any insight into what we should expect as a fair/reasonable price? My brother used some online quote tool and my eyes nearly popped out of my head... maybe we just have cheap boat insurance up here in Canada?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Baller

Thanks.

My research so far suggests we're pretty lucky here in Canada on ski-boat insurance.

I usually pay just over $400/yr.

Of course, Canadian cottagers probably average 10-30 hours a year max on their boat, plus we don't tend to sue everyone at the drop of a hat here ;-)

Anyhow my Canadian insurer got me coverage in Florida til the spring (plus an extension around the long-distance tow back home) for another $350, so I'm less than $800 for the year total, and that's about 35% less than the lowest quote I got from a US company. I'm making sure that I'm comparing (mostly) apples-to-apples but so far it appears that the policies are on par.

I would consider the Canadian Insurance. For my 95 Nautique it's about $450. There is a restriction on how far I can tow it but it may be enough to go to Florida. Otherwise you can pay a little more for the larger coverage. It includes fire theft and Liability ( I can't remember how many million). You need to be a member of Waterski Canada to access the Tow Smart program.

I would consider the Canadian Insurance. As an example it's $450 for my 95 nautique. Fire, theft and liability ( I can't remember the dollar value, probably a million). There is a restriction on towing distance but it may be enough otherwise you can pay a little more. You need to be a member of Waterski Canada ($45) to get access to the tow smart program.

I would consider the Canadian Insurance. As an example it's $450 for my 95 nautique. Fire, theft and liability ( I can't remember the dollar value, probably a million). There is a restriction on towing distance but it may be enough otherwise you can pay a little more. You need to be a member of Waterski Canada ($45) to get access to the tow smart program.