New Ski Advice

BigC

I'm currently on a Monza and I think it's time for a new ski in the spring. My chief complaint with the Monza (other than it's getting old) is that it is so unforgiving on the off side turn. I have a tendency to get on the front of the ski on the off side making the ski stall out at the end of the turn. If I am nice and early (not often) it turns smoothly and quickly but any little bit of scrambling will result in being pitched out the front or bent over at the least. In order to tone it down on the offside, I run the fin consideably shorter than stock to the point the on side is somewhat late to initiate the turn. If I really try to accentuate the counter rotation on the off side, the tail will often blow out. I'm looking for suggestions as to what ski to try next. How would the A3 and S2 compare to the old Monza? I would like a ski that takes my much less than perfect body position in stride and I don't need extreme shortline performance as I am a 58 year old 22 - 32 off skier. Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Baller

I have just moved to the 2014 HO S2 66.5", just love it, very miminal tweaking, binding fwd half a hole, ,005 out of the depth, 8 instead of 7 degree wing, awsome offside, onside good as well, forgiving yes.

I reckon definitely worth a demo, Ideal for your requirements, if you get on with it.

• Baller_

@BigC The Monza Rocks. I have tried both the A3 and the S2. I skied the A3 this spring after getting a sore back from my N1. My first thought was how fast and easy the ski felt. I had not been on a ski like that since the Monza. I would think you would like a properly set up A3.

The S2 felt like a Goode Mid-ride to me, very stable and easy to turn. Cant go wrong with either of the skis. I would add the Strada to your test list. Maybe try it before the other 2.

• Baller

@DavidP I have been struggling to find a ski to suit for some time, I had Nano One, Mapple but did not get a similar feel to my beloved Sixam 2, that went soft on me, the Mapple is a great ski if you are consistent and are skiing well, but I was playing with the fin all the time, instead of skiing.

I had heard through the Grapevine, that Will Asher had spent some time skiing on the 2014 HO S2 and thought it was a great improvement on the 2013 as well as enjoying his time on it.

( this was from a third party, that has a close association, so please forgive me if the information is incorrect )

However when I had a Demo on it, it oused potential and after a few adjustments it felt great, it was similar to my sixam, but much much better .

Hortons review on the S2 is fairly accurate, the ski allows you to make changes and become a better skier, it is predictable, forgiving and a very capable ski.

I do not think it is a Honeymoon ski, for me it's a keeper.

Horton is great at reviewing skis, I do not have his knowledge or experience, what is stated above is my personal experience, and how I feel about the ski.

• Baller

@bigC - this summer I went from a Monza (08) to an A3. The thing about a Monza is that, IMHO it wasn't super forgiving if you weren't in the proper position, and it would wheelie and slide out on turns. The A3 holds MUCH better in the turns. Don't know that it is necessarily quicker across the wakes but it is a NICE ski. I made one tweak to the fin and tied my PB on it. You won't have problems turning the ski, it'll turn on a dime, and allow you to crank a turn if you need to.

FYI - I mostly ski at 34mph, though I will be upping to 36mph since I want to ski some tourney's next summer.

• Baller

I am not sure whether the speed skin adds much but apparently, when they changed the flex on the A3, they decided to make the same change to the S2, the change to the S2 made a much bigger difference/improvement, than A3 or though there was improvement regards A3

• Baller
If your spending $1200 - $2000 on a ski purchase....... TRY A BUNCH! Vapor, A3, S2, Nano 1XT, 9960 Mid, Strada, older A2/A1. Demo them all and see what fits your style and budget. Heck, that would be fun in itself. Also, I used to live in NH. What lake is your video from?