Radar Vector Bindings - So far so good

ozski

• Baller

I've just switched out my front binding from T-factor to Radar Vector. I'm very impressed with the T-factor but the cramps on my 5th and 6th pass have motivated me to test an alternative. Initial impressions of the Vector - wow my ski feels much lighter even with the T-factor rear boot still in place. Getting the Vector on is quite easy if you release the laces all the way, dip the ski first and your foot goes in easily, mine did anyway. No soap required. Hitting the water for the first time the Vector feels loose so I tighten the lower lace a bit more, much better. The small lower lace clip sucks, I'm already looking at alternatives that will work with gloves on??? A minor but annoying issue.

Skiing - First pass goes ok, different but good different. Cut to 28 and try again, better but still different. Cut to 32, now I'm thinking about the pass and not the boots - a good sign. Cut to 35 which by this time my front foot is usually sleeping, only a very mild cramp so far in the Vector, equal my practice PB first set. The transition has been pretty easy so far, in all honesty the only advantages over the T-Factor is the weight saving and the personal aspect of comfort. I'm not sold that the Vector will add or subtract any balls from my skiing but it will give me confidence to attack the shorter lines with some sensation left in my feet.

• Baller
Just make sure you don't over tighten, especially the top laces. My best ski buddy, wearing Vector's, ended his season first weekend of September with a torn deltoid ligament on the inside of his ankle and torn interossoeous membrane between the tibia and fibula. Required surgery and screws to repair, he's still on crutches. I didn't realize how much he was tightening the laces or I'd have damn sure corrected him.

• Baller
@Ed - Thank-you for the heads up. They come with plenty of warnings about over tightening the top laces. I like a bit of freedom forward and back so I don't over do it. I've had one broken ankle in rubber so I know the pain..

i just started using vector boots as they came on my new radar vice ski .i like them find them a little hard to put on as have no deck on the back of my boat but easy to get of had wileys before.am not sure about the ski yet is a lot harder on the old body than the triumpth

i used vectors all last year and have a new vector boot this year till the new vapor boot turns up. I had been pulling laces pretty tight and wondered if it was to tight as i hadn't come out in a couple of crashes then i had two stacks in one day and came out smooth as with the laces the same as they had been. super comfy and easy to get on.

• Baller_

Good thread and I would like to hear about any other skiers that have made the transition to the Vector. I have a few months left on an HO Approach before it will be toast and I will need to find a new boot. I want to try the D3 Leverage and the Vector.

• Baller
I have been using double Vectors for three years. My PB is 15 off at 29 on a triumph. I am 49 years old learning the course. (no baller by any means) I have had many OTF's. I tighten my bottom laces tight and my top laces just snug and have always come out. Always followed the recomendations from the book. I think the lateral support comes from the bottom laces.

• Baller

@MS. Mark you probably know I've used the Leverage bindings pretty much since they came on the market. Tried a pair of Strada bindings a couple of seasons ago, gave them most of a season, couldn't make the transition. Went back to the Leverage, immediately started skiing well again, and likely won't change from that.

I like that with the Leverage rubber bindings I can tighten them for a nice snug fit, they come way up the ankles which gives good comfortable ankle support, and I'm yet to not come out of them when I really should or really need to despite having the laces about as tight as I can get them. They do take a fair amount of lube to get into though, I use Suave Shampoo because it's nice an slick and washes out fast (much like one of @Kstateskier's old girlfriends...). They're fairly stiff but comfortable once on, and when broken in (which takes awhile because they're fairly stiff) they're like broken in high top basketball shoes - comfortable and supportive. If you like rubber bindings IMO these are the best.

• Baller
I've been on double Vectors all summer and I've found them easier to get on if you do the back foot first. I've had problems with releasing from them in the fact that I've never come out of them. I've dug my tip in at the first wake (36mph-15), flew across and landed in flat on the other side and ended up unzipping my vest all the way and didn't come out of them. I've made sure to only really tighten the bottoms and keep the tops just snug enough and I still don't come out. Over the winter I'm planning on either going to Stradas/Vapors (which I feel more comfortable on because I have ejected) or going back to rubbers.

• Baller
I have commented on the Vectors before but couldn't find my old post. I like them because they are comfortable. As already mentioned, do not overtighten them! I overtightened once and fell and almost wrecked my knee due to the ski twisting and putting torque on it. You can tighten the bottom laces tighter than the top but you can also overtighten the bottom tongue so that your foot will still not come out. I think with the Vector you sacrifice connection to the ski but in my mind it is better to live to ski another day rather than run the greater risk for injury.

• Baller
Just back from the lake, second set with the Vector and I'm sold on it. Gusty head / tail wind with some chop, less than ideal. I backed down the tension even further and it feels great. Zero cramping and I could yank the ski off without popping the laces. Starting to look at the rear T-Factor now... It would look better with matching boots.....

• Baller

I have +200 sets on mines. Only minor wear and tear on the fabric and bungy cords.

One plus is that I can wear wet suite socs when cold.

Tight both cords medium tight.

Almost newer fells tired in my feets even after long sets.

Loose the ski sometimes when otf falls.

• Baller
@scuppers - I sure hope English isn't his first language... I'm a member of several international forums and I see mangled English (American) all the time. I bet if I tried to post in Spanish, French, German, etc., I'd do some mangling myself :)

• Baller

Sorry for the language. No my first language is not English.

Cant get a spell checker to work on the mobile either.

I am very pleased with ny Vectors

Have skiied more than 200 sets on them.

The are starting to show minor delamination (?) between the neopren and the surface fabric (?).

The plastic lock mechanism (?) are starting to slipp more often.

Both on the laces and the bungy cords.

They are very flexible in size. I can also easily wear a pair of wetsuite socks in them when cold water.

I personally do not tight them to tight.

Eventhough I have several OTF falls I do not step out of the bindings.

What are the pros comments on 'less ski control' using Vectors?

• Baller

I had posted a thread a while back from when I switched from HO animals to Vectors. There is a learning curve with how tight to run the laces on the vectors. I've found the bottom laces can be pretty tight and still give a good release. The upper bungie cords however need to be adjusted so they still have enough give to let the boot open up to let your foot out.

I would say the bottom laces adjust the connection to the ski (to a point) and the upper bungie is the critical part for release. When starting out, error on the loose side as you adjust to them.

After many years with rubber boots, foot cramps and dealing with binding lube I will never go back to a rubber boot again. Vectors are very comfortable and once you get past the learning curve of adjusting the laces I've found them to be a good compromise.

I have 3 seasons and over 200 passes on my Vectors \ Vice ski. Never came out of the boots even with a few OTF! I am not tightening them much either, makes me nervous with 2 rebuilt knees! I lost a top bungy clasp and Radar quickly sent a new one incorrectly. They sent a clasp for wake board boots. It was very hard to slide on to the bungy but work much better than the original. The clasp has small handles that are easy to grab with your gloves on and pull loose at the end of the run. I suggested they go to that style for the Vectors will see if they listen. I put the wakeboard style clasp on my other boot to. Try it !