36 mph fun

6balls

• Baller

The morning post skiwatch tourney @razorskier1, myself, and two skiwatch resident skiers Tom Johnson and Jeff Harber decided to bump it up to 36 mph for a little fun tournament where we had to begin at 22 off 36(some wanted to begin at 28 off but we wouldn't let 'em). It was really fun and a chance to trash talk and laugh at each other and ourselves.

This Sunday in Orlando on our last set before returning north myself and ski buds Gavin, Greg and Doug did the same but could start 22 or longer (b/c one wanted to begin at 15 off). Again it was a riot to do something outside the box for the same reasons. The speed is a thrill and the longer lines are strangely challenging.

Overall it was just an opportunity be less serious and laugh, understanding that the longer lines at 36 mph for skiers skiing shorter at 34 mph are kind of a whacky experience. This is going to be a staple here and there moving forward.

• Baller
I've actually never even tried 36mph. Went straight to 34 at around age 34 before I started doing tourneys and just kept the speed there. I've considered doing this for fun many times and never pulled the trigger. It's on my list and I won't even hold you responsible for my injuries:). Jk

• Baller
I think 36 15 is great, it's a pass where you have to be technically very precise because you have so much time before the buoy abd through the wakes that if you rush something you're not going to miss the pass but it will become work. If you do it right you just feel slow, easy, and early. Can't say I don't like my 28s & 32s more but there is nothing wrong with the red or orange.

• Baller

Funny thing is all 4 guys in the boat that day are able to run 38 at 34 mph. Three of them run 38 with some regularity and one has struggled. The one guy who has not been out the end gates at 38 this year at 34 mph beat all of us at 36 mph for one round. That's part of what made it a fun mix-up. Run it twice and probably not the same result and the order is reshuffled.

The next time we did it the better 34 mph skier won at 36 but a buddy who has never run 35 off at 34 mph over performed and busted two other skiers who run 35 off at 34. Both of 'em missed their longer line 36 mph openers. It's pretty easy to see how this can be fun and entertaining, and it allows the guy who is usually behind on lines to talk some trash as well if they put up a decent score. Anything can happen. It was fun both times.

• Baller
@6balls, I think we might need to try this at CR 2014. That could be highly amusing and depending on how my season goes I might even be able to give some of you guys a run for your money when you're playing at my speed. Of course when I play in your arena I'm pretty sure you and the big man will leave me pretty far back in the dust.

• Baller

Back-back when, the top AWSA speed was 34 mph. I'd have to do some research, but Men were still slaloming at 34 back in 1960. When Warren Witherell ran about a zillion buoys at a local tournament in Massachusetts.

Larry Brown, of Aqua Sport Skis, onetime AWSA President, and great BS-er/raconteur wrote an impassioned article in the Water Skier opposing the change to 36 mph. When I get a chance to do some research, I'd like to get that article re-printed with comments. Along with others.

Larry also wrote an article about the "Random Slalom Course", and also was a key producer for the 1954 and 1959 Nationals in my home town, and probably one reason why I've stuck around the sport for so long.

Anyway, 36 mph used to scare me, with the nasty falls. Of course, very likely trying to ski it on a nasty unforgiving ski at that time. When I aged into 34 mph, I picked up 2 passes.

At one time, the World Rules had SL top speed at 60 kph, or about 37.3mph. Possibly, that was the case for the 1961 Worlds in Long Beach, where Jimmy Jackson won slalom. Yes, well before boat timing and very accurate speedometers. More research needed when I get a chance.